Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA Transmission

Iokua

So, I have an 87 RX coupe. I'm looking into an EA swap, I've read the EAtoEJ pdf and realize i need an adapter plate, etc. I'd like to rebuild and build up the engine before i put it in, maybe an ej22(easiest to find around here)...first of all, how good is the tranny in the RX? what kinda of power/torque could it handle? second, swapping EJ running gear sounds like a massive project to take on, am i right?

PS, ive looked around and havent found much on the subject of course, im not the best at location info on forums. another point, If i could just upgrade the clutch for the swap, would this work? what can the LSD take from the engine?

I swapped a EJ22T into my RX. The original trans had over 200K on it and was abused by the previous owner (me). It lasted 3 weeks after the swap.

I had another RX trans that had lower miles and put it in. So far I've had no problems, but I dont do any hard launches either.

I'm running a TD04 turbo with the boost at 10lbs, sometimes more.

Look for my EJ swap in this forum.

He said EJ22T in his post :-\

A plain EJ22 puts down 135 HP (EJ22T is 165 HP and 185 Ft/lbs stock). The EA82T puts down 115 HP and likely pretty similar torque numbers due to it being turbo-charged. That's not a huge difference. I would think that a good condition RX box should handle a non-turbo EJ22 as long as you treat it halfway decent.

Jacob (renob123) has a ~180 HP high-comp. EJ25 running into an EA 5 speed D/R - running around in 2WD on the street and 4WD in the dirt. He hasn't broken it yet....... yet :rolleyes:. We are rebuilding a JDM 5 speed close-ratio AWD box for it.

I wouldn't want to run much more than an NA EJ22 (maybe with some torque cams, etc) on a stock EA 5 speed. I think it's a bad idea for longevity. And actually the RX box can't be put into 2WD (where wheel spin actually cuts down on how much torque you can torture it with) so..... that's a drawback in some respects.

GD

Thanks Turbone. wich EJ did you use?

1990-1994 Legacy Turbo Sport Sedans

An EJ trans can be swapped in using an xt6 trans mount, or a modified ej/ea hybrid mount.

If you can rebuild the trans, you can hybrid the ej trans with the dual range from the rx, and take your choice on gearsets.

Let me clarify a little bit of info since I have a similar swap as Turbone's but I opted for the EJ 5-speed instead of the RX box.

In '85, '86 and the first half of the '87 build year, the trans tunnels were smaller then the '87.5 - 94 because they started using a 4EAT automatic which is a lot larger then the 3AT automatic.

I have an early '87 EA82 coupe with the smaller trans tunnel. I was working on figuring out a way to bolt the tranny in with very little modifications. I went with a XT6 front trans crossmember, EJ center section and a 3AT crossmember which bolts into the rear location, then modified the rear crossmember to accept the EJ center section. A little cutting and drilling and I was done. If you have a later EA82 car, then you can use the XT6 rear section as well as the front without any modifcations.