Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Question 2003 Outback H6

Fuel pump has failed in 2003 H6. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I should replace it with. Can bring myself to shell out $845 for a Subaru Fuel pump (from Subaru Canada).

Does anyone know if there is a Denso or Bosch pump that will fit an H6, I can't seem to find one.

Get a used pump, they never fail so they're cheap and not worth replacing new. Place I often get stuff from has one for $40 1-412-782-5580. It looks like the 6 cylinder pumps are listed as different parts than the 4. You could also post in the parts wanted forum here or subaruoutback.org.

How did you know it failed, did you have any symptoms prior?

Whether you replace it with new or used, you'll probably never have to replace it again. So you'd be paying a $800 premium for a a %0.01 increase in reliability. Save your money and buy an aftermarket warranty instead....just kidding.

On the older gen stuff you can wire in aftermarket pumps that don't cost much. They aren't direct replacement but easily installed, you have to cut and attach the wiring harness plug of the original pump to the wires of the aftermarket and strap it in the original bracket. The newer stuff is completely different though and an in tank style set up that may be harder to do that with.

Edited by grossgary

Get a used pump, they never fail so they're cheap and not worth replacing new. Place I often get stuff from has one for $40 1-412-782-5580. It looks like the 6 cylinder pumps are listed as different parts than the 4. You could also post in the parts wanted forum here or subaruoutback.org.

Whether you replace it with new or used, you'll probably never have to replace it again. So you'd be paying a $800 premium for a a %0.01 increase in reliability. Save your money and buy an aftermarket warranty instead....just kidding.

On the older gen stuff you can wire in aftermarket pumps that don't cost much. They aren't direct replacement but easily installed, you have to cut and attach the wiring harness plug of the original pump to the wires of the aftermarket and strap it in the original bracket. The newer stuff is completely different though and an in tank style set up that may be harder to do that with.

Thanks for the info, the one above you mentioned was a 6cyl one? If so I will give them a call and hopefully they will ship to canada

My subaru guy (Certified Master subaru tech at dealer) diagnosed it. He said the pump is toast. It's my fault as I have always run the car until the fuel light comes on. I have now learned that this is not good. Car was working fine then all of a sudden it wouldn't start. He said my sending unit and accumulator are in good shape. He did mention if I get a used one to make sure it hasn't been out of use for more then 5-6 months. So that was my only concern about getting a used one. But I can't bring myself to pay $800, since I just spend $3500 on it getting heads/head gaskets and a bunch of other items.

Thanks again for the info. Ordered the $40 one you mentioned above. Place was great to deal with, even let me email them a prepaid shipping label as I get get a discount through DHL. Should have the part in 2 days. a nice savings vs the $800ish the Canadian Dealer wanted

sorry i missed the ? but yeah it was 6 cylinder. hope it works out, i think it would. us older gen guys swap in 20 and 30 year old fuel pumps with ease that have been sitting for who knows how long. i'm installing one that's been sitting for years the week after christmas into an XT6, i'm confident it'll be fine.