Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 inch lift

91 subaru

You're probably better off doing so in the long run. While it is not 100% necessary; it is probably alot easier than leaving it in. Since you are seperating the crossmembers from the body, and placing blocks in between the two it is easiest to have the crossmembers as light as possible. Having the engine, and transmission still in the car/hooked to the crossmember adds a couple hundred pounds to the weight you'll be maneuvering around to get the blocks lined up. Obviously that's going to add some difficulty to balancing all that crap on a a trolley jack. Having the engine/trans removed also makes it far easier to add links from block to block strengthening your lift. Making the steering linkage will also be worlds easier without the engine in the way.

I did my SJR 4" lift By myself with jack stands and a floor jack. Didn't have to remove the engine. I did take off the exhaust and driveline, also disconnect the shifting linkage and drain the radiator. I had to cut off about 1/2 inch of the bottom rad hose the top hose still fit with no mods. I did the rear first. Then the front.

When we first fired up the USMB, bigger tires woulda had every member commenting and raving. When we lifted that first one, the place went nuts. When we gathered the first group of them together, the place really hit the roof. (wait, that was pretty much pre-internet)

Once the off road forum has seen pics like the one below, a set of balding tires crammed under a stock mobile isn't all that gnarly.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=133&g2_serialNumber=2

Lift it, show it stuck in a big mud hole or hanging off a rocky ledge. . . They'll love it.

Welcome.

Ill prolly be out in the shop building the lift to get away from family.

P.S. I wasnt tryin to get anything stirred up. I completly understand. This is a great site with a ton of information.

Thing is, just about everything has been done to a subaru on here. It takes a crapload of ingenuity to create something nobody has done before on here.

But then I'll go and post my car on my local subaru forum and nobody has ever seen anything like it before. Don't even know that subaru made a 4x4 with lo range, etc.

I took it on a rally drive with some of the local club members and nobody knew what to think about the thing.

But then I go and post it on here, and it isn't anything special.. Just a sedan lifted 2" with pugs and 27" wheels.

There's some pretty crazy cool stuff people have built on here, just search around.

I have seen alot of neat stuff on here. I never had any intention to do anything to my subaru until i found this site. since then i have been dying to get my loyale in the air. Super excited to get it lifted. I cant wait so post some pics of it covered in mud. I appreciate all the information being passed around. As long as this site is running ill be lookin up info on here. Everyone on here has a vast knowledge of subaru's and how to beef them up. Without this site id still be driving on 13's. Anyway thanks for all the info on everything subaru. Awesome site.

i thought for sure there would be more replys on this. I didnt think id be the last to post on it thats for sure. Guess its not all that interesting really.

...stop crying over the lack of posts, its a pretty new thread. It looks like a nice project, but not much else is going on yet. I'm in for the lift pics later.

Sometimes people are very Busy with other Threads...

in Example: I Posted a Couple of Years Ago that I was Painting my White Weberized Wagon in Yellow, but not like my Other Yellow Wagon (The ER27 Wagon was Dark Yellow) I Painted my White Wagon in Bright Yellow and Black, I Posted a thread in the "Playground" forums we had after the Site went Down for a While, in 2008...

Then I Posted This Thread a Couple of Years Ago, Tryin' to Bring back that, but No one posted a single Reply...

Then I Posted This Thread about my First 25 Years Owning my Weberized EA82 Wagon, but also seems like it wasn't very interesting...

I Understand that there are other more interesting Threads...

I'm Here Trying to do my Best to Help Others with Ideas and Share my Experiences & Knowledge... well, that's the Idea of this Forum.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo