Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 5 speed/4wd swap

aaronxs400

I currently have an 83 wagon with auto and FWD.

I am wanting to go to a 5 speed first, then later 4wd.

That being said, is there anyway i can use the 4wd 5 speed transmission in my FWD while i wait to get the 4wd parts?

What parts would I need for the 5 speed swap?

What parts would I need for the 4wd swap?

Well you have a couple different things going on here.

Its easiest to do the 4wd conversion at the same time as the tranny, so then you're not trying to find a way to "make" the 4wd tranny work because well, there really isn't any way to make it work.

To convert yours to a 4wd you'll need the whole rear suspension, axles and rear diff setup from an EA81. You'll also need the EA81 4wd gastank too as it has a recessed area for the rear diff.

Jerry (Bratsrus1 or something like that) makes a kit to bolt the EA82 d/r 5-speed trans into an EA81 body and keep it stock looking. Then later you can do the EJ swap and the drivetrain behind it would be ready to go.

The kit can be made up to your specs, but my kit included:

- reworked transmission support crossmember

- new transmission mounts attached to crossmember

- reworked 4 speed shifter to work with the 5 speed

- reworked 4WD actuator rod

- spacers for starter

I also got a clutch plate and flywheel that fit the 5 speed, this was extra and Jerry happened to have them for me.

I then took my one piece driveshaft (i have a Brat) to a local shop and had it lengthened.

Just give Jerry a PM and then a phone call, you couldn't deal with a nicer guy who will help you out. It's a million times better than trying to go it alone.

The rear suspension is a similar design and I believe people have done a swap from EA81 to EA82 suspension but thats something you'll have to search for.

You could use the EJ 5-speed as well but there again, you have more fab work to get it to fit correctly. Again, search for an EJ swap into an EA81 though I will let you know now, not a ton of people have put the EJ trans into an EA81 so finding the info will be harder to come by.