Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission output shaft clunking???

hello 94 loyale just had a cv axel replaced on f/p side used crappy napa cv..i know there not the best quality. anywho now when i accelerate i hear a ker clunk kerclunk mostly in second and third gear.

any ideas? some one told me it might be the output shaft on the tranny. it makes this noise going strait and dosent seem to be any worse when turning

Did this clunk start after you did the axle? Is this the first time you have done an axle on a Subaru?

If yes to the first Q, and "pretty much yes" to the second Q, are you sure that you put the dished washer (the one under the axle nut) on the correct way? (Convex towards nut, so outer rim of dished-washer presses against the cone-washer while center of dished-washer presses against the thread-area of the nut.) Also, how tight did you get the axle nut?

Might also be other hardware not properly retightend on the knuckle.

ok i replaced first axle with ...some sh*t brand china axle it went for about a thousand miles then make some horrible noise and bumping of car. so i jacked up front end and put in first gear idle and the whole engine was jerking like crazy so i said screw it and took it into a shop they put in a *new* napa axle and then it started to make this noise when i gave it over half throttle. but it stoped the jerking *they said my axle had seized up* anyways i hear that noise in 2nd and 3rd gear but its been getting worse and i can now hear it in first some times and under grandma acceleration in 2nd and 3rd it gets faster repetitions when i go faster but if im over 3k on the tach i can floor it and not hear the noise i hear it mostly in the lower rpm and only when accelerating

its a two tone sound one then the other ker klunk ker klunk ect

I think mine does about the same thing. I've been trying to figure it out for like 8 months and I've replaced the axle twice...with EMPI axles. It even does it on the same side as yours. I've decided that it might be the tranny stub shaft as well. So Im gonna swap the 4 speed d/r for a 5 d/r and see what that does. Ill Prolly do the swap this spring so if you don't have it licked by then ill let you know if that solves it.

if it did it after the axle swap, then you can be almost positive it's the axle that is the problem.

when you don't have any issues....then do some work...and then there's issues - it's akin to winning the lottery for it to be something other than the work that was just done.

i'm not saying it can't be something else but the best starting point is to verify the work was done right and it's not the axles which are a known gamble. i've seen so many bad axles (i don't care where it's bought, brand, miles, anything) that it's a waste of time not to verify that.

subaru or MWE will save you a lot of headaches in the future.

if you don't think it's axle related - where is the sound coming from - noticeably front/rear or left/right or can't tell? driveshafts definitely get noisy when the ujoints start to fail or the carrier bearing goes bad.

I would say that a very high percentage of axle failures on EA's is due to people not really understanding the mechanical lock system being used here. Very often the "clicking" is not from the joint but rather from the cone washer not being properly seated or being worn and no longer locking to the axle shaft. Personally I've never had a problem with an EMPI other than a boot failure after a couple years. NAPA reman's are junk and I've seen them fail on rhe DOJ side.

GD

the clicking is on the front passenger side same side that had the axel i replaced that seized and was then replaced by a local shop with a napa *new* axel

sounds like another bad axle (happens all the time with aftermarkets).

but i am confused - your original post says you have vibrations on accelerating in 2nd...3rd or something - and it wasn't side specific - now you're talking about clicking.

can you clarify and try to be clear? it's really hard to diagnose and help without seeing, touching, hearing it ourselves, all the clarity you can give us will help us help you.

same thing happened to sooboutlaw in his brat,. He had bought those GCK axles, and he put it in, ansd it felt liek the front end was gong to fall apart, loud clunking and shaking and tugging. So replaced it with a pull a part axle, and problem solved,

• 2 weeks later...

ok ill start over again minus the info i already put out there when i got the car out of the shop when i gave it gass in gear or put a certain about of tourqe on the drive train i would hear a clicking/clunking/kerdunk kerdunk sound from the FP side. as time goes on i hear this noise more with less throttle applyed. i said it made the noise in 2nd and 3rd because thats when the car had enuff power to make the noise now i hear it in 1st 2nd 3rd and some times faintly in 4th.

it seems to lessen the noise when i drive in 4wd like that axel or transmission stub there has to do less work when all the tires are pulling there own weight.

im starting to think ill just wait for some serious damage or sign to occur as im useing the car as a daily driver for 60miles a day to and from school. im waiting for subbasomethin to change his tranny and see if that helps. if so i got a parts car sittin in the yard waiting for me to rip into.

by the way any one need parts from a red exterior grey interior 92 sub loyale

I have the same issue with my 1992 Loyale. I changed the front passenger axle due to the usual clicking / grinding noise when making turns. After the axle was replaced the 1st time a slightly different noise appeared but I was told that it was the axle again so it was swapped out. Cut to 4 axles later in the span of 2 months I'm now dead set against the idea of it being the axle. The noise is now only present when I have it in gear and gas to the pedal. There is no noise when coasting or if it's in neutral.

I posted on cartalk and the folks in that chat community seem to think that it's something to do with the transmission. The two best opinions I've heard are the conewasher and the transmission. I just don't know much about the two options or what the best way to diagnose it is. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same issue with my 1992 Loyale. I changed the front passenger axle due to the usual clicking / grinding noise when making turns. After the axle was replaced the 1st time a slightly different noise appeared but I was told that it was the axle again so it was swapped out. Cut to 4 axles later in the span of 2 months I'm now dead set against the idea of it being the axle. The noise is now only present when I have it in gear and gas to the pedal. There is no noise when coasting or if it's in neutral.

I posted on cartalk and the folks in that chat community seem to think that it's something to do with the transmission. The two best opinions I've heard are the conewasher and the transmission. I just don't know much about the two options or what the best way to diagnose it is. Thoughts?

To check the cone washer take the cotter pin out of the cv nut and see if the nut is loose.

• 9 months later...
ok ill start over again minus the info i already put out there when i got the car out of the shop when i gave it gass in gear or put a certain about of tourqe on the drive train i would hear a clicking/clunking/kerdunk kerdunk sound from the FP side. as time goes on i hear this noise more with less throttle applyed. i said it made the noise in 2nd and 3rd because thats when the car had enuff power to make the noise now i hear it in 1st 2nd 3rd and some times faintly in 4th.

it seems to lessen the noise when i drive in 4wd like that axel or transmission stub there has to do less work when all the tires are pulling there own weight.

im starting to think ill just wait for some serious damage or sign to occur as im useing the car as a daily driver for 60miles a day to and from school. im waiting for subbasomethin to change his tranny and see if that helps. if so i got a parts car sittin in the yard waiting for me to rip into.

by the way any one need parts from a red exterior grey interior 92 sub loyale

My 92 loyale is doing the same thing after having front axles replaced. I think the noise was there the whole time just disguised by the cv noise. Kal tire couldn't even get the first set of axles into my car, had to order a different brand.

Noise has nothing to do with turning and is only when accelerating. Had it diagnosed at a local shop as "transmission noise, final drive". Told me my clutch needed replacing as well, and I already knew I had a lot of loose exhaust components. My clutch is out of adjustment, that's all. So maybe they don't know enough about the tranny for a proper diagnosis either.

Tonight I happened across a remark about tranny noise under acceleration in these cars likely being caused by the exhaust flex joint on this page http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1990-to-1994-subaru-loyale-2.htm and I'm wondering if any of you that know the car better can figure out if that is likely the problem.

My gearshift vibrates a bit on the highway so I might have a bad tranny mount making things move more than usual. The clacking noise under acceleration is loud enough to be embarassing.