Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Keeping a/c with EJ swap

Dodge Aries K

Okay, I have a 1986 GL-10 wagon that I'm trying to have some fun with. This means that I'll reach the limits of it's EA82 turbo engine pretty quick because from what I see they pretty much suck. I tried searching for it but I couldn't find anything that shows if you can keep the air conditioning if you swap to the EJ engine in these older cars. If not, I will have to keep the EA82 alive as long as I have the thing as heat + me = heat stroke.

with some fabrication you could get the EA82 compressor attached to the EJ22 engine. work with the brackets and make something fit then route a belt to it.

or the improper thing if you wanted to try it would be to include the EJ22 compressor in the swap and have some a/c lines fabricated at a shop. there are shops that make custom brake, compression, hydraulic...etc, i'd imagine someone can make these too if you take in what you need. you'lll have to convert to R134a which isn't a big deal since the system is going to be emptied anyway.

or if you're lucky the fittings are the same and the routing is close? but i doubt it since it's R12 and R134a.

with some fabrication you could get the EA82 compressor attached to the EJ22 engine. work with the brackets and make something fit then route a belt to it.

or the improper thing if you wanted to try it would be to include the EJ22 compressor in the swap and have some a/c lines fabricated at a shop. there are shops that make custom brake, compression, hydraulic...etc, i'd imagine someone can make these too if you take in what you need. you'lll have to convert to R134a which isn't a big deal since the system is going to be emptied anyway.

or if you're lucky the fittings are the same and the routing is close? but i doubt it since it's R22 and R134a.

Why is it "improper" to use the EJ compressor?

Why is it "improper" to use the EJ compressor?
right, that is vague abe, that was more of a CYA than anything else. some folks frown upon people doing their own a/c work, those folks would probably also frown upon using a compressor from a different vehicle and different refrigerants, and they probably are spec'd differently. i do not know if it matters or not. i would assume it doesn't and try it.

you being an a/c guy might be able to shed light on that?

folks that don't like people working on their own A/C system are the also the same ones that think a car that is over 5 years old shouldn't be on the road cos "its old"....they also have no imagination and want to drive an EV when they can't get public transport to where they need to go

the EJ22 A/C compressor will work with the EA A/C system.... the EJ compressor is larger than the EA compressor...but not enough to worry about.

make sure you have no leaks and enough refrigerant and oil in the system and your good to go

Edited by LPGsuperchargedBrumby

yea, should be just fine. In fact, using the EJ compressor would definitely be the way to go. Custom lines is not uncommon. Just go in with all 4 lines (2 from each donor car) and tell them what you want, and they'll crimp 'em together how you need it.

If your EJ donor is new enough, you MIGHT run into issues using a compressor designed for r134a with the r12 system. But I think the biggest concern in the conversion is proper oiling for the compressor, so it might be better....

btw, the r134a conversion wasn't until the late '90s sometime, so there are lots of EJ cars designed for r12.

My turbo brat is running factory components with 134A.

My VW Vanagon with 2.2L swap liked the Subaru compressor.

I have done a 2.2 swap for a customer on an 88 RX and that car had BETTER A/C after I was done than brand new according to the customer. You will need to be very careful not to overcharge it, and I highly recommend putting a Receiver drier that is 134 compatible in while you are at it. I did it with the factory legacy one with no issues on the 88 RX.

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest hurdle is finding a good hose company to make the custom hoses. After that its pretty easy. Compressor to custom lines to original evaporator and condensor is usually easiest. Putting a 134 receiver/drier is also a good idea.

systems are swapped all the time, so yeah just google it and roll with what folks are doing. i've done it before and while details are scarce in my head i'm sure i could figure it out in about a minute on google or here (if i wasnt' on dial up right now :brow:). i just did what you said - added compatible oil and all was well.

I've done a lot of R-12 to R-134a retrofits and pretty much exclusively run ester oil. Castrol makes what they call "retro ester" that I'm not aware of any failures resulting from its use but I also get ester oil from the local napa. From my experience if you use pag be sure and wear protective gloves and eyeware, I have scars from getting some pag oil on my hands that Kenworth used in the mid 90's, it's nasty stuff.