Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Frankenmotor, whats the big deal?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,424 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

I am reading this and am assuming you are referring to 1st and 2nd gen ej22e heads?

and if so, does it use the composite or MLS head gaskets?

#27 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,695 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

I have seen in several threads the mention of Delta Cams. I went to their website but could not find any information on pricing. Anyone have any info about cost?

Do you send them your cam and they re-grind it for you?

I wanted to get a ball park number for doing the DOHC cams.. is $250 sounding like too much?

I wanted to do the cams on my Ej22 but I changed.

#28 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:46 PM

It's about $80 per cam give or take. So the DOHC's would be about $320.... as I said give or take.

GD

#29 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

I am reading this and am assuming you are referring to 1st and 2nd gen ej22e heads?

Use head gaskets that match the block.

#30 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

You can use whatever head gaskets you want. I used MLS for obvious reasons.

Jacob

#31 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:28 PM

Use head gaskets that match the block.

I'm pretty sure I used the ones that matched the heads. With an open deck, it doesn't matter where the coolant passages are. You don't want to block off the passages in the heads, though, so you get the ones that match the head. Unless, of course, I'm missing something.

Jacob

#32 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

I'm pretty sure I used the ones that matched the heads. With an open deck, it doesn't matter where the coolant passages are. You don't want to block off the passages in the heads, though, so you get the ones that match the head. Unless, of course, I'm missing something.

Jacob

ej25 has a bigger bore, so the gaskets need to match the bore.

#33 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

Oh, ok. I sort of thought I was missing something obvious when I was typing that out.

Jacob

#34 Suba9792

Suba9792

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Sandy,OR

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

Ok, so I was out at GD's place today doin some exhaust stuff and he decided to give me a little ride in the franken brat...with the JDM STi tranny, holly crap! grip like no other and the thing has torque written all over it. Goin down I205 was nuts. Anyone questioning the power of one of these builds is a fool IMO:lol: its not like anything I have ever been in and I've been in some fast cars. I'm glad to say I was able to contribute a little to the build with the 5th gear from my old trans, little power house.

#35 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

Ok, so I was out at GD's place today doin some exhaust stuff and he decided to give me a little ride in the franken brat...with the JDM STi tranny, holly crap! grip like no other and the thing has torque written all over it. Goin down I205 was nuts. Anyone questioning the power of one of these builds is a fool IMO:lol: its not like anything I have ever been in and I've been in some fast cars. I'm glad to say I was able to contribute a little to the build with the 5th gear from my old trans, little power house.

Closed course, professional driver, I'm sure:rolleyes:

You actually contributed 5th gear and the case, I thought. The STI gearset and fancy diffs actually makes it feel a lot more controlled than it did before. Your 5th gear is a little odd. I thought it would be more of a cruising/fuel economy gear, but it actually has enough power behind it. I have yet to have to downshift from 5th for a hill or anything.

I just wish more people knew how gutless a stock Brat is, that way more people would flip a lid when I go by:lol:

Jacob

#36 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

well, trust me, going from about 6 or so Turbo Legacies, to a CA spec BRAT, i was like, huh. hills sucks, passing is thought to not even try, etc.

no fears, still got a ej22t longblock and the crossmember sitting on the shelf with only 85k on it, but there are no mechanical problems on the old brats ea81, and it doesnt use or leak oil etc, only 129k on it.

I have replaced the stock CA spec hitachi with a Weber, and it is still gutless, but i was able to pass a ea82 going 75 and we both had 27.5 inch tall offroads on and lift.

Closed course, professional driver, I'm sure:rolleyes:

You actually contributed 5th gear and the case, I thought. The STI gearset and fancy diffs actually makes it feel a lot more controlled than it did before. Your 5th gear is a little odd. I thought it would be more of a cruising/fuel economy gear, but it actually has enough power behind it. I have yet to have to downshift from 5th for a hill or anything.

I just wish more people knew how gutless a stock Brat is, that way more people would flip a lid when I go by:lol:

Jacob

#37 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

My FI ea81 is pretty gutless...

Speaking of frankenmotors, I'm going to be making one with delta cams for my legacy.

#38 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

well, trust me, going from about 6 or so Turbo Legacies, to a CA spec BRAT, i was like, huh. hills sucks, passing is thought to not even try, etc.

no fears, still got a ej22t longblock and the crossmember sitting on the shelf with only 85k on it, but there are no mechanical problems on the old brats ea81, and it doesnt use or leak oil etc, only 129k on it.

I have replaced the stock CA spec hitachi with a Weber, and it is still gutless, but i was able to pass a ea82 going 75 and we both had 27.5 inch tall offroads on and lift.

Brats feel a lot more tank-like than more powerful Subarus. Mine also feels more connected to the road. I love that I can floor it in the Brat wherever I go and nothing bad happens. If I try that in my other car, I'll end up in a ditch/yard with at least $5k in damage.

When my Brat was stock, I took it on a 500 mile trip one weekend. Something happened halfway through, and on a major hill coming home, I kept having to downshift. I started getting worried when I downshifted to 1st, because after that, there were no more gears:confused:

Have you done the mounts yet?

Jacob

#39 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

:lol: I let you pass me.

#40 Suba9792

Suba9792

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Sandy,OR

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

More connected to the road is an understatement, more like glued....until a small bit of gravel:lol:

#41 suprunner

suprunner

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • South Dakota

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

I've got a ej22 from a '93 legacy in my Loyale; any problems running those components with a 2.5 block? Many folks talk about ecu management systems...

#42 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,019 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

Gaskets need to match the bore AND the coolant passages in the head.

No stock gasket correctly does this.

What you need are these. 
IMG_6757_zpsa94ac5dc.jpg

Cometic Part number: H1631spk051s

#43 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,806 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

Interesting so they actually make a HG just for this application?

#44 zombieforce

zombieforce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Knoxville,TN

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

I did this swap in my outback and wasnt impressed. Tt he auto trans sucks up too much poer to feel a difference. I did not install the delta cams or do an exhaust either so that may be part of it. I just picked up a forester yesterday and I am considering dropping the franken motor I to it after replaci g the cams with delta torque grind cams. It has a5 speed and is a lighter car so I think it will be better suited to this engine. I used the 2.5 mls hg and if I don't run premium it will ping some so my compression is a bit higher than using the appropriate cometic gasket I believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users