Stereo Conversion

Short CB Radio antenna

New Headliner

Sun Visors

fix any body work

New Paint

Rino Spray Bed Liner

1st Gen Push Bar

:( The biggest issues I currently face are that I dont know much that about cars (willing to learn) and I dont have a shop to work in. :(

I would also know what type of time and $$ im looking at.

-Thanks-

Edited by TheHockeyPlayer

With the full time AWD, planning to install an EJ tranny as well or use an EA tranny?

The amount of cash to spend also depends on what goals you'd like to achieve and what level of finish you want to see.

Personanlly, I'd read over some project builds that are documented before and conclude from that what you can do yourself and what not, then also you have some insight in costs involved.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Bram

Remember subis are the frame. They just use sub frames for the engine and front suspension and a sub frame for the rear suspension.

Keeps us updated love seein new projects come alive.

Myself, I am doin my 84 turbo brat but as more of a DD offroad wheeler. I already did the street build. With my 07 wrx into a fully built sti plus, Alot money when your doin the newer stuff. Thats why Im excited about this brat build.

Have fun and enjoy working on one of the best makes out there GO SUBI :banana:

It seems that as I read the builds that it wouldnt really be all that difficult to pull off.

having done the mechanical part (EJ22/EA 5SPD FT4WD DR/5 lug into a brumby/brat) of the swap your thinking about doing...there are alot of little things(fix's,tweaks etc) that don't get put down in the description's of what's involved in the swaps....blood sweat and swear words aside.

if you don't know much about working on cars i'd be starting with some smaller or less technical stuff until your technical skills are at a point you are sure you can pull off the big stuff...just my 2 cents

im pretty good at learning things. im one of those guys who can build stuff without instructions not that id do that on a car lol. Ive also done a lot of fabrication and rework. Thinking of vac forming some parts of the current dash or a dash thats in better condition then mine to start out with, so it will look cleaner. I also see that the seats in my brat are not the same size as most seats and seat tracks of other subies. Even back to 1987. I might just refinish the ones i have as the metal is in good shape.

I wouldn't worry too much about not having a shop. I'm doing mine in the driveway, with the car backed into a temporary shelter. The front end is out in the weather, so I just use tarps for coverage. Everything's covered with a nice layer of overnight snow as I type.

You will need tools, a service manual or two (most of the info can be downloaded from the site here, though), and someone to help with a few things. I strongly recommend you find a friend who knows how to work on cars before you dive into it, and go over the info with them. They don't need to be a professional mechanic, but find someone who won't think twice about changing brakes in their car, for example. You will also want to be familiar with where to find bits and pieces in your town, you might want to track down a good radiator shop, renting a engine hoist would make your life easier, etc. The most time consuming part is the wiring. It is not really difficult, just time consuming. If you are not familiar with 12v electrical, you will need to find someone who is to help you out. If you know someone who does stereo/alarm installs frequently, you're golden. Above all, try to have a running donor car to get the engine/trans/wiring from. Not having this, I have spent a lot of time futzing with details that would have been solved quickly otherwise.

You've also got an extensive list there. I would suggest you start with what needs to be done the most. If your engine blew up, by all means, dive right in and start swapping. Otherwise, start with simple stuff like the body and interior. It will give you time to get familiar with dealing with rusted bolts, broken pieces, etc. Then maybe move on to the tougher stuff - 5-lug, engine, trans, etc. Working on the body as you go can give you a diversion, don't paint until you've got the other stuff done, IMHO.

Time: your list will require a lot of time, most of it in little details.

Money: I'd say start with $1000, plus the cost of the donor car. That should get you into it pretty good - assuming the wreckers in your area have decent pricing.

I currently own a 1983 Turbo Brat.

The project list is as follows:

EJ22T

5-lug swap

STI 17" Gold BBS rims

full time AWD

front lights and grill swap

fender swap

Front Seats

Carpet

Door Panels w/ power windows and power locks

Center Dash Unit

Stereo Conversion

Short CB Radio antenna

New Headliner

Sun Visors

fix any body work

New Paint

Rino Spray Bed Liner

1st Gen Push Bar

:( The biggest issues I currently face are that I dont know much that about cars (willing to learn) and I dont have a shop to work in. :(

I would also know what type of time and $$ im looking at.

-Thanks-

You have been reading! :)

The 2.2 swap is going to take at least $2000 to do. It involves a lot of little things, but for you its going to virtually require a complete Turbo Legacy parts car.

The STI wheels are at 600 or so last I checked.

Rhino Liner probably $500 to do professionally

Paint Job at a minimum $500 and sky is the limit.

Not sure what you are doing for a fender swap.

Headliner can easily run over $100 to have done.

Power Locks, I am not sure this has been done but I have been thinking about it. Power Windows can be done but you need to find a Coupe to get the window regulators and motors out of, switches, harness, etc.

I hope you like wiring. The Turbo brat has plenty in it stock, throw some legacy wiring in, power window harness, stereo, CB, front lights. The wiring alone easily takes a week your first time doing it and will consume an entire living room floor or huge workbench.

These posts make these swaps look easy. They can be after many of them, years experience, nice work area, good weather (Junkyard/parts car time), and parts availability. Your going to need a nice set of tools, 2-3 factory manuals, and a lot more reading than you might like. I have friends that have spent $5000 doing half that list to an Impreza and it took them a year and they are pretty talented people with a good job to pay for the project.