Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does a standard double din car deck fit a 98 Legacy Outback?

I'm looking to replace my stock stereo (cassette with CD player below it) but Best Buy's website says it does NOT fit my vehicle. Is the stock stereo + CD player an odd size?

this is what I'm looking at:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+50W+x+4+MOSFET+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B-/Satellite+Radio-/HD+Radio-Ready+CD+Deck/9784001.p?id=1218172863008&skuId=9784001

I've owned many brands of car stereos and JVC has been the most reliable and best value that I've found.

standard double din i thought.

another easy and cheap option is the in dash 6 disc changers with tape cassette from a WRX or other models. they are a direct bolt in and plug and play swap too, don't get much easier than that and it looks totally stock. that's what i always do and just use a cassette adapter for audio hook up to my phone (music, podcasts, etc).

I usually order my car stereo components from crutchfield.com. Their staff is very knowledgeable and they offer customer support for their products for life. They also will send you a wiring harness and installation kit (if needed) as well as detailed installation instructions (at no cost for stereos over $129). They also have techs that will help you over the phone if you run into a snag. Excellent for a do-it-yourselfer.

Below is their link to what they have to fit your car. Unless you really want a double din size deck, you can probably find the features you want in a single din for less money. My "97 outback has an aftermarket (kenwood) single din cassette deck, stacked over a cd player Same brand. Both components are full single din size and made to work with each other. Both are near as old as the car and still in good working order. The tape deck was one that I already had and installed in the car when I bought it in 98, and I ordered the cd player a short time later.

To answer your question, it should fit, but I would make sure by asking the salesperson at Best Buy, if that is where you decide to get yours.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Car-Receivers.html?showAll=Y&tp=5684

yeah, I'm using a cassette adapter right now and that's what I'm trying to get away from. I miss having USB/Bluetooth/iPod controls so I'm just going to swap it out.

I'm planning on buying the harness too so it will be a very easy installation now that I know it's a standard double-din.

thanks!

right on, i'm not positive it's double but that was what i thought. all comes down to how perfect and stock you want it to look. if you're super anal and need all the lines, trim, and angle to be perfect it might be tougher. if you're not uber-critical then I imagine it'll be breeze.

if you see other double DIN's listed that fit then i'm not sure why that one isn't?

well I work for Best Buy Co, so I get a very good discount. Otherwise, I'd definitely buy from Crutchfield. I think the CD player in my car was an option, so maybe Best Buy's computer doesn't take that into consideration and only knows about the single din opening.

It should fit the opening just fine. Looking at the design, It looks like you will have to make sure your cup holder is pushed all the way in to insert or eject CDs. My biggest complaint with mine is that it is near impossible to see the controls on my stereo with the cupholder out. Most of the time I take a drink with me so the holder is out.

It should fit the opening just fine. Looking at the design, It looks like you will have to make sure your cup holder is pushed all the way in to insert or eject CDs. My biggest complaint with mine is that it is near impossible to see the controls on my stereo with the cupholder out. Most of the time I take a drink with me so the holder is out.

you actually use the cupholder? It fits only the smallest of fountain drink cups and no bottles. It fits cans, I suppose, but I haven't drank from a can in the car, well, ever.

in hindsight i wish i had put the cd player in the lower position and the cubby above. this would keep the cup holder out of the line of sight, a little. but would you be able to insert a cd with the car in 'P'? oh well, get an ipod and throw the cds away.

another idea, tape a piece of plastic wrap on top of the ''radio'' so if / when your drink spills it may prevent SOME of the liquid from pouring into the inner workings. you don't want to shrink wrap the thing, it needs to breath, but any shelter would be a plus, i would think.

If it says it doesn't fit I wouldn't risk it. Looking at the Crutchfield car-fit-guide they say it wont fit a 98 OB either, however it will fit my 2000 OBW. Not sure what the differences are but I'll tell you I had a Pioneer Avic GPS/Stereo unit (double din) that "fit" my car and it was a PITA getting it to line up and in the end it still didn't look good. The unit stuck out much farther from the dash trim than expected, and ultimately I just didn't like the look so I sold it and went with a Sony single din unit. Even then I had to slot the holes in the Subaru factory bracket because stock it didn't allow the unit to sit back far enough.

Bottom line is, just because it says "din" or "double din" and you think this means there's some sort of ISO standard to the bolt pattern and dimensions, there's not.

I would not risk it though, I trust Crutchfield WAAAAY before Best Buy. If they say it wont fit that means it wont fit... without serious modifications.

By then it may not be worth it and you've already opened the box, etc....

Looking at the Crutchfield car-fit-guide they say it wont fit a 98 OB either, however it will fit my 2000 OBW.
98 and 2000 will be nearly identical. Subaru stereos, including the big double in-dash changers easily interchange between 95 and 2004 legacy's, impreza, forester, OBW (and probably more years than that).

you actually use the cupholder? It fits only the smallest of fountain drink cups and no bottles. It fits cans, I suppose, but I haven't drank from a can in the car, well, ever.

What year is your car? If it's a 95-99 legacy, there's different cupholders depending on the trim and year, one cupholder comes straight out and then offsets to the right, and has 2 same size holes. the other comes out at a diagonal, has one big hole with a spring loaded tab in it, and a small hole. The cupholders are interchangeable.

What year is your car? If it's a 95-99 legacy, there's different cupholders depending on the trim and year, one cupholder comes straight out and then offsets to the right, and has 2 same size holes. the other comes out at a diagonal, has one big hole with a spring loaded tab in it, and a small hole. The cupholders are interchangeable.

Mine is the one that comes straight out and to the right. The holes are tiny, and it's the only thing on my car that doesn't work well. Maybe the previous owner gummed it up with 7-Up.

So I can put the other one right in there? I'm going to track one down.

thanks!