Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Clutch issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 waterboy222

waterboy222

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • York, Pennsylvania

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

I drive a 1988 subaru gl 4wd 4spd dual range, with 54,000 miles on it. I just put a new clutch disk in it. The reason i put a new disk in was because the car wouldn't go at all when the car was in gear. With the new clutch, It will start in neutral, but when i try to put in all gears it wont go and reverse grinds. I can put the car in gear and then start it and it goes but then wont come out of gear and stalls. Whats the problem? Thanks for the help in advance!:grin:

#2 zacyork

zacyork

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • southern oregon

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

it might be that the clutch is not releasing at all. clutch linkage all good? did you replace the throw out bearing and might have install wrong? cause that sounds like something is not allowing the pressure plate to work

#3 waterboy222

waterboy222

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • York, Pennsylvania

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

Did not replace throw out bearing, and also I may have the clutch disk in wrong. Dont know the correct way to put it.

#4 zacyork

zacyork

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • southern oregon

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

clutch discs usually have a stamp saying witch side is the flywheel side. the raised side usually goes towards the tranny. does it feel like you have a good clutch when you press on the pedal?

#5 waterboy222

waterboy222

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • York, Pennsylvania

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

pedal is really light.

#6 ghost

ghost

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Danville

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:29 PM

My moms 98 Outback wagon had a similar problem. My buddy found out the clutch fork literally warped itself and snapped joints in 2 places. When you pushed the clutch in, the fork would go slightly left and in. Not enough to engage the clutch, but enough to provide slight resistance. We had no clue what was going on until we noticed the clutch fork moving strange.

Check and make sure everything going to the clutch fork is good, then check the fork itself to see if its even moving the TO bearing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users