Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, i had a question about my 1993 subaru legacy wagon (2.2L, 4 cylinder):

I get this hesitation/studder when i give it gas. When im at a stop light or if im traveling 110km an hour.....i'll give it gas to pass another car and i get this studder, lack of power.

I know a bit about cars, and guess that its something like a dirty gas filter or fouled jets.

The car recently (feb 2003), so one year ago, had a new gas tank and fuel lines put in.....this was before i owned the car...

The problem has gotten progressively worse over the past three months it started as more of a slamming feel whe you first gave it gas....that is to say it was hard to get the car to just move nicely along at low speeds....now its more like a studder.

I dunno, im going on and on here...just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

thanks, jay

Thanks for the replies...not sure about the disty cap. but i believe the plugs and wires have been replaced recently.

It is time for its 'check-up'...infact i think its a few months past its service scheduled tune up....anyone know how much these visits are and whether they do gas filter flushes during these visits?

I'll obviously call today and ask these same questions just wondering if anyone has an idea of what to expext......just had it in last week for a $700 (cdn) cadalitic converter (spelling).

again, guys thanks alot for your input, helps alot!

• 4 years later...

It is time for its 'check-up'...infact i think its a few months past its service scheduled tune up....anyone know how much these visits are and whether they do gas filter flushes during these visits?

unless you don't know your left from your right, you can do the air filter and plug wires your self. get a haynes manul, order the wires online from a 'subaru' dealer and put them in yourself. my shop wanted some rediculous amount of money to do it (150 - 200$). i bought the subaru wires from my local dealer for 90$. you can get them on line for 50 - 60 i think. you just take off one wire , find the matching new one and reinstall it. do them one at a time. search here for tips and read up on it.

if you have any mechanical ability you could probably do the plugs as well, but this takes a little more patience and some tools.

what was the car doing before the catalytic converter was replaced? any CEL / trouble codes? did the replacement improve how it runs? if not i would suggest the front o2 sensor be replaced, but it probably already was with the converter.

• 4 weeks later...

From my other post to folks seeming to have same problem:

Hello!

We had the "Elvis" hesitation when going up or coming down slight hills - "uh huh, uh huh, uh" as car was trying to shift to different gear or plain hestiatating

Subaru check transmission and all the other things to the wheels. Nothing. The sensors seemed OK, but husnband convinced it was a bad sensor someplace.

Then he noticed the tube from the air thing feeding the motor that was connected to the "pcv" was not a continuous rubber tube. it was splced, with no clamps on either end, and it was really loose. Probably leaky.

He put hose clamps on each end and VOILA! Smooth as the day we bought it.

He got the idea from his old truck, which had a bad "pcv" thing.

J. sends