Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm trying to find out if the bumpers are interchangeable between a 1997 and a 1999 Legacy Outback Wagon. I've been looking at the ones at SubaXtreme but they only start with MY99. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1997 OBW Scorpion Lift Springs, KYB GR-2's, EBC Sport rotors, Goodridge SS brake lines and K&N Flat panel filter with snorkus removed.

The bodies were the same so they should interchange with no problem - 2000 is when the new model came out, so those may or may not work, but a 99 bumper should fit fine on your 97.

BTW, I'd love to see pics of your ride - I've got a 97 Outback and want to put on the Scorpion springs & KYB shocks you have listed in your signature - how's the ride/handling? No dunes here in Baltimore, but an extra bit of clearance is what I was going after.

Brendan

The ride is a little stiffer, but not uncomfortably so. The handling is, IMHO, much better. The two extra inches of clearance were the best part. You're still limited in tire diameter to about 27". Thanks for the bumper info. I thought there weren't differences until 2000, but I wanted to be sure. I'll see about finding pictures.

thanx for the info! a couple more questions for you:

1. Where did you decided to buy the parts from?

2. Did you do just the springs, or the body lift kit too?

3. Did you do the work yourself, and if so, how long did it take?

thanx again! I'm looking forward to seeing pics of it!

I only did the springs. The springs and brakelines came from here; http://www.isrperformance.com/main.html , the struts and rotors from here; http://www.tirerack.com. I had the work done at Garcia Subaru here in Albuquerque, mostly because of the springs and struts. They have the compressors to do them safely, and I've only done the old brace 'em on the curb. It took them about 6 hours, not counting the alignment, to do the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...