Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, i had a question about my 1993 subaru legacy wagon (2.2L, 4 cylinder):

I get this hesitation/studder when i give it gas. When im at a stop light or if im traveling 110km an hour.....i'll give it gas to pass another car and i get this studder, lack of power.

I know a bit about cars, and guess that its something like a dirty gas filter or fouled jets.

The car recently (feb 2003), so one year ago, had a new gas tank and fuel lines put in.....this was before i owned the car...

The problem has gotten progressively worse over the past three months it started as more of a slamming feel whe you first gave it gas....that is to say it was hard to get the car to just move nicely along at low speeds....now its more like a studder.

I dunno, im going on and on here...just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

thanks, jay

I had a consistent hesitation on my '95 1.8L Impreza when giving it gas under 2000 rpm. It would always hesitate and buck, and if I tried really hard, it could cause a backfire. I spent a lot of time diagnosing, checking codes, new fuel filter, fuel injector and throttle body cleaners, etc., thinking the problem was much more complicated than it was. In the end it turned out to be the plugs! A fresh set of plugs cured the problem completely. So I'd check the plugs, wires, and coil before starting on anything else.

Martin

This is a far more elusive problem than that, I'm afraid...

I have had the hesitation pretty much every single time I pull away from a stop in the 3½ years I've had the car. I have:

kept fresh, properly-gapped NGK V-power plugs in the car

plug wires and coilpack recently replaced

changed the fuel filter at or before interval

put a new alternator, knock sensor, and motor mounts on the car

run 89 octane gas (BC/BF nonturbo Legacies don't like 93)

tried pretty much everything else I can think of.

Someone with a 91 turbo recommended I try a fuel injector cleaner called Lubro-Moly Jectron. It's a German formula used in VW/Mercedes, etc. I was told to run 3 tanks of it. 1st tank=nothing, 2nd tank= great improvement, but still there.

I just filled up my 3rd tank yesterday and it's back to full hesitation again...

I do believe this points to a fuel injector problem, but Legacy777 has put a complete set of brand-new balanced and blueprinted injectors on his Legacy to no avail...

So, for now, you might hafta live with it until we come up with another possible solution :mad:

has the same issue in my '91 legacy, the problem eventually turned up as a bad 02 sensor.

The problem worsened over time until the engine stalled at one point, finally producing a CEL which revealed an 02 sensor problem. Changed the sensor and things are as good as new.

so you may want to look into the 02 sensor as well, and check the condition of your spark plugs and make sure they are correctly gapped, good luck:)