Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats this plug?

when i said scantool, i was thinking the ''subaru scantool'' or whatever they call it, which does diagnostics and some programming of the computer. i didn't think / know it plugged into the OBD2 port.

i don't even know if they still have them.

but the connector in question looks kind of like one under my dash, drivers side, mounted onto the center console thingamajig / hvac / radio whachamacallit.

those are technical terms.

take a look.

HMM, I am having difficulties finding the correct wires for my OBD port....its been hacked/cracked to death.

I keep having high idle issues but when I disconnect the battery and back again it clears the issue till it warms up then back to high idle...so I would GUESS this is going in to a fault mode.

• 1 year later...

I haven't ever seen a code that makes the car have a higher idle than before.

The grey plug referenced above is a diagnostic plug for the HVAC system I believe. I have never used it, and worked as a Subaru dealer technician in the past.

If your harness was modified by a company-they should have left the OBD2 plug in it. Its possible they left that plug in-and chopped the OBD2 plug by mistake. It would not be easy to add back in. It would be easier to modify another harness. But it would have to be a harness that works and matches that VIN number in every way, otherwise you would end up with a bunch of ghost codes, that you can detect and read, but no way to get rid of them.

There is a VIN number stamped into the side of the engine block. Its very hard to read and if the shortblock was replaced at any time in the Subaru vehicles life it might not be there-or could be the wrong VIN.

Feel free to call me about this if you need help, another harness modified, etc.