Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea71 and ea81 weber carb

I was just wondering if anyone knows im thinking of purchasing a new weber carb for my brat I currently have a ea71 engine in it and the stock carb is junk im just wondering if I put the weber carb on it as it says it is for the ea71 and ea81 engine can I later when I find one put the ea81 1.8L engine in it and swap the carb to that engine or is it a once on it can only be used for the ea71 type of thing?

I had to read this twice. Lack of puntuation makes it real hard to decipher. Anyway, I believe you are asking if you can put the carb on your ea71 motor and then swap it to an ea81 later. I don't see why not. I have had carbs that I swapped on and off of several different engines. One carb I had saw service on it's original donor car, then a Studebaker, then was used several times on Ford motors.

Craigslist or ebay. Be prepared to rebuild and rejet. I typically budget $200 for a used carb, rebuild kit, adaptor plate, jets, etc. It will be more of a headache in the long run if you aren't experienced with rebuilding carbs, etc.

I have had excelent dealings with www.carbsunlimited.com - don't buy the kit for the EA81 - call them and order the carb of your choice (choke style, etc), adpator plate, and air filter seperately. The kits have the wrong air filter and you don't get to choose your choke style, etc.

GD

I have a good used Weber off of a wrecked 85 parts car I have. Looks like it has been on the car for a while. Has surface rust on the chrome and could use a new air filter. I was told engine was running great until car was wrecked. $125 with ea71 ea81 adapter. Located in Spokane WA

• 4 years later...
Weber 32/36 for my EA71 

Just completed a Weber conversion for my '80 Brat GL. Saw another thread where the industrious owner did a nice job cutting up and re-welding the stock GL air cleaner to make it fit.  I elected to use the Omix-Ada 17704.02 Performance Carburetor Kit Adapter. This part is normally US $80 via most of the normal sources (like Summit Racing) - but i found it being cleared out on Amazon for US $13. SCORE!

20 minutes of grinding and polishing with a Dremel to take off the sharp edges in the air intake to allow for better airflow.  Top it off with a 1/2" thick rubber toilet flush valve O-ring ($2 at your local hardware store) allows the stock air cleaner to mount on top of the taller Weber carb without rubbing against the top of the alternator or being pinched by the hood. 

• 6 years later...