Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil plug crush washer vs. Fiber one

I changed my oil a couple weeks ago and left off the crush washer accidentally. I went to the auto parts store and all they had to replace it were the fiber ones. I wanted to do it quick so as little oil would drain during the process so I bought a new bolt too.

Now the car smells likes it's burning oil off of some hot surface. It's been about 500 or so miles since the change. I can't locate exactly where the burning smell is coming from.

Could the smell and the fiber washer be related?

maybe, just crawl under and look.

if it's the correct part and installed correctly i can't imagine that being the issue. you know how many oil crush washers i've replaced - none. i have never replaced one. occasionally i'll notice one wet, but i've never had one all out leaking any significant amount.

point is - if i've put a hundred thousand miles on a few subaru's and many 10's of thousands on various others over the decades and never replaced the washers i think one oil change is probably a drop in the bucket.

I once tried to leave the old crush washer in. It did not leak it POURED.

I switched to a copper one and stll using it. Probably for 15 years by now.

A month ago I bought a crush washer from a dealer for my new Forester and they charged me $1.20. What a rip off! I did not use it, because I bought another copper one. So far so good! No leaks.

Sam

I put in a Fumoto valve many years ago, and haven't touched a wrench when doing oil changes since. Less mess, and no skinned knuckles from slipping wrenches. It takes a little longer to drain, but I usually start it draining and go do something else for a while anyway. It's a whole lot easier to live with than wrenches, washers, splatter, etc.

Adam

• 2 years later...
Can't seem to find HOW I PM any poster. This is for ShawnW. When you say you buy bulk thru your shop. Where, how, etc. etc.?? THX Happy new year.

Click on his user name in a post that he made then you will see where you can send him a PM