Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Contingency Program for 2011

edrach

• 3 weeks later...
Don't sell yourself short. I think the western championship event is in Utah this year. Probably closer to you than to me and I'm thinking of going this year.

Yeah I went last year to the Miller Motorsports Venue Regional, was a long ride back after I developed a rod knock and had to tow my WRX home. I believe I was in 1st after two runs but I won't bring that up too strongly since that may have been the demise of the engine. :Flame:

Yeah I went last year to the Miller Motorsports Venue Regional, was a long ride back after I developed a rod knock and had to tow my WRX home. I believe I was in 1st after two runs but I won't bring that up too strongly since that may have been the demise of the engine. :Flame:
Ouch, sorry to hear about the engine failure.

What is the Miller venue like (I assume we're talking about the Tooele location for the regional)? Does it chew up tires like the Truck School site you had in Colorado for the National for the last two years? I'm trying to think of which tires to bring if I come out to it this year.

Ed,

Did anyone ever figure out if the local ORG events count for anything? I know people were going back and forth over it.

Jacob

I think I'm wrong on local events counting for it since SCCA specifically posts a calendar for "National Challenge Events". I'm hoping ORG can get one or more events onto that calendar once someone can find out what makes an event a "challenge" event.

There was a tentative Oregon event in Sportscar mentioned this past month I think.

Miller Motorsports Park is near Tooele so I think that has to be it. Its only 20 miles from SLC or so. (Close enough a fellow CORX competitor was willing to flat tow me with a strap back to SLC).

In my opinion the surfaces are pretty similar in gravel type but Miller is bladed perfectly flat and Fountain doesn't get that sort of treatment since its a Truck Driving school and not a raceway. Miller is an amazing complex and venue but I still like racing at Fountain better. It just feels like it has RallyX soul and isn't trying too hard.

With Gravel rally tires either should be fine for you. Medium to Hard compound is best with a lot of sidewall strength as Fountain usually has a course that is tough with lots of tight turns (unless somebody lame from another region designs the course.--end small rant, but honestly if you let the guys get really good at gear changes, tight turns, etc and then give them nothing but huge sweeping drift turns and not so technical stuff at the National event its kinda annoying).

Guys that run last years snow tires find themselves with slicks in about 4 events from what I have seen.