Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift kit install

Crawlerdan

i wanted a spacer for the struts on my 91 legacy

and i came to the realization that no one made these parts for the rear of early legacys

i had already lifted teh car using forester struts, and trailing arms, but needed just a little more to take advantage of the large tires i had.

so i contacted a local machinest and he got started. the prototype set was finished this after noon, and installed on my car.

it is 1 inch thick HDPU plastic

i had him machine reliefs in the bottom so that the longer studs could be bolted on, then the spacer installed

i used 1 inch longer then stock studs, and still had room for my strut tower bar in front

the rusult was a gain in one inch, an no negative affect on camber at all

these will fit all 1st gen legacy wagons and sedans.

the front pieces will fit all subarus newer then 1989-i think

install took 2 hours with air tools

these will be availiable soon for sale

they include all 4 spacers, all hardeware, and instructions

they will be cheaper if bought in bulk, but right now the material is expensive in small quantaties

Edited by Crawlerdan

i just got back from les schwab, they alignment was a little off, but is in 100% now.

i measured against my freinds stock 92 wagon, and it is 4 1/8 inches taller

with forester struts, links, and these spacers. i have not droped a diff or cross member, and have seen no ill affects yet.

im driving it 3500 miles in a few weeks so ill let yall know what i tink

my machinest said hes up for selling more, but initially they are going to a little more spendy then what i wanted (prolly 180-200 for all spacers and hardeware)

this cost will go down if bulk or group buys occur

the rusult was a gain in one inch, an no negative affect on camber at all

Without an angle in them they certainly have affected camber some. Maybe not a big amount. But simply lengthening the strut definately will create more positive camber * \---/ *

And you put these on in addition to Forrester struts? So you're running 3 1/2" to 4" more than stock. That can't be good for your axles.

ok Gloyale- im actually glad you chimed in with helpful words-

i had the car aligned prior to install, and post

the car had 0* camber before and 2 after BUT WAS RETURNED TO ZERO

this change was only because i didnt line it up correctly on install

the point im making is this- if you car is in good shape prior to this install

then there is no reason the factory installed eccentric bolts will not fix any missalignment

as far as lift- yep ive got 4 inches of lift, rear axles will never wear out even at the increased angle- you and i both know that

as for the front- they are at an increased angle- however, pre lift and post lift show 2* increase in shaft angle-

this is forester strut vs forester stut and spacer measurments

if it was going to wear out, it would have done it in the 10k miles i drove lifted 3 inches, i certainly doubt 2* is all of a suddon going to ruin the axles.

however- prior to me selling these- im going to drive 4k miles, round trip in a few weeks. were talking sitting on the highway at 70mph for DAYS, wheeling at my destination, then returning home. i think we can both agree that any ill affects will become known in that time.

Bottom line is this- everysingle one of us here are modifying FAMILY CARS for off road use, adventure, whetever your cup of tea is. every one of us that has a lifted subaru of ANY kind, are using parts as they where NOT intended- axle wear, alignment tweaks, and vibrations are part of the game. Gloyal- you, of all people, should be clapping at my efforts, not trying to hinder progress- if i misinturpreted your post i appologise

These look perfect for what I want, and plan on using them together with outback stuts on my leggy. Keep this posted and if you do go into production count me in.

Quick question, even though you don't seem concerned with the camber, why not just cut them at a 15 degree angle anyway? Is it particularly hard with the material used? Seems like it would help a lot esp if you went higher later on.

i d be glad to offer a 15 degree version.- will require ,more work tough

but let me tell you about some testing we did

-this is a bone stock 92 wagon awd, not my lifted 91

we put the car on the alignment rack at les schwab, and took priliminary readings

initial drive in camber was 0.4 negative, well withing acceptable specs.

i then had the tech lift the car exactly 1 inch, lifting from the center, not the control arms- this simulated the 1 inch lift, the computer fluctuated between .3 and .4 negative, so no signifucant change

so we went another inch, it now read .1 negative, still minimall change

we went to three inches total lift, and it read .2 positive

all these readings are within spec, and easily moved with the factory alignment eccentrics

this is about as thorough a test i can provide, unless you have suggestions.

bottom line is- im not a douche that "wants mudders on my car, huh huh"

i thought this out, tested, and did the best i could to provide something that in the end would not only accomplish the deired lift, but be safe enough for my kids and wife to drive around.

OK- im happy to report that i have driven 500 miles since install of the spacers, and couldnt be happier, on and off road, we have seen a fair amount of snow on the outskirts of portland, and its been awesome.

so heres the deal- I will be marketing and selling these spacers from this point foreward

I am offering and introductory price to USMB and Legacy central members.

I will have in my hands, three complete sets within the month

the set will include-

1 inch front spacer(2)

1 inch rear spacer(2)

extended studs and nuts

instructions

intriductory price of 149.99 to your door, that includes UPS shipping anywhere in the lower 48

after these three sets are sold, the price will go to 179.99-free shipping

discounts will be offered for group buys, multi orders, etc.

i have paypal , pm me if you want a set

post-17861-136027645784_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crawlerdan