Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, On a 2000 outback, auto tranny. Can and how would you check a line pressure solenoid on the workbench, also the 2-4 brake duty solenoid is the same. What does the 2-4 accomplish and what would happen if the two were switched, reason being to see if the one is defective. (Subaru wants about $130 for a solenoid, ouch!) This car is my brothers and after doing the head gaskets in my 99 2.5 he did his and that is when the temp light came on and tranny not shifting right. Input would be appreciated, Thank you kindly.

Hello, On a 2000 outback, auto tranny. Can and how would you check a line pressure solenoid on the workbench, also the 2-4 brake duty solenoid is the same. What does the 2-4 accomplish and what would happen if the two were switched, reason being to see if the one is defective. (Subaru wants about $130 for a solenoid, ouch!) This car is my brothers and after doing the head gaskets in my 99 2.5 he did his and that is when the temp light came on and tranny not shifting right. Input would be appreciated, Thank you kindly.

did you read the TCU code. the flashing TEMP light indicates a fault, you need to rear the code to know. but since you asked a specific question you may have done that.

did he / you dent / bend the trans oil pan when you jacked it up. this often causes trans problems. apparently there is not a lot of room in between the pan and the valve body and it is easy pinch wires.

have pulled the trans pan yet?

Yes one small dent but not near the solenoid. Pan off twice and appears there is no damage to wires or otherwise. Subaru told him it was the line pressure solenoid and we have it out, hence the question can we test it on the bench? If the price was $15 or $20 just buying one and putting in would be no problem, but with the cost of $130 and money for Uncle Sam we would like to know for sure if that is the problem. Thank you for the reply.

this is from the 99 fsm.

solenoid............description......................terminal #..........ohms

Duty solenoid A (Line pressure solenoid).....[ 5 — 16]..........[ 2.0 — 4.5]

Duty solenoid B (Lock-up solenoid) ............[13 — 16].........[10.0 —17.0]

Duty solenoid D (2-4 brake solenoid)..........[ 9 — 16]..........[ 2.0 — 4.5]

hope this helps

If the computer is throwing the code then the only thing that is capable of causing that is an electrical circuit issue with the solenoid. The TCU can't tell if the solenoid is physically not working (gummed up, etc - but that never happens) but it will know if the solenoid is open, shorted, or otherwise has an improper resistance value. Looks like John has listed the Ohm values above so you can check agains that spec with a meter - don't forget to check and insure that neither of the pins has continuity with the body of the solenoid (shorted). If you get a good Ohm reading then chances are you have a wireing problem (something pinched durring assembly perhaps?) or the TCU is bad - I've seen this a couple times - last one threw a duty-B code but the solenoid was fine. Replaced the TCU and everything went back to normal.

GD

Thank you for the specs and input guys, and as to on the bench test. Hooking up to the ground (white wire if I remember) with a lead from the meter and to the pin where the wiring connector hooks on with my other lead would work for checking then? Thanks again for your patience and help.

Thanks again, and yes the two number 2's are the same part. we put one lead from the ohm meter to the wire with the circle end and the other lead to the pin on the solenoid and there was no reading whatsoever there. Looks like the solenoid is bad. What function does the 2-4 brake solenoid provide? Does it have any thing to do with the slope control? Also what if these two number 2's were switched? Thanks for any more input.