Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Decided to enjoy the great weather today and took the subie to the beach. But the SUVs wore down the sand road so much that driving in their tracks sand underneath the car was at 7-8" and I stalled. Tried to start again but the wheels didn't even spin. As one of the guys I was blocking told me the chasis/differential was suspended and could not transfer power to the wheels.

After two SUVs tried to tow us out, driving foward, and failed a 3rd, using reverse (more power), was able to pull us out to the point where we could drive through to the beach.

Lesson learned: my Subie is not invincible (boo hoo), towing a stuck subie in reverse is better and don't let the conservative driving wife drive out from such road (got stuck again, twice, because she didn't rev the engine or shift quick enough to keep from stalling.

The car is due for an oil change and tune-up any suggestion as to anything in particular I should have checked while I'm at considering the whole underside of the car was "drowning" in sand. Also the engine/clutch(?) was smoking during the time the wheels weren't moving. How much life has the clutch loss?

Patrick.

it all depends..

how does the clutch feel? I've burned the hell out of my clutch on my EA82 and I like the way it feels slightly burned.

No one can judge how much life you took off it because they havent driven it before and after. Thats where you come into the picture.

Does it still engage at the same spot as you let the pedal out?

And does it slip when you are engaging it?

Tried to start again but the wheels didn't even spin. As one of the guys I was blocking told me the chasis/differential was suspended and could not transfer power to the wheels.

Is it just the fact that it's about 5AM and I need sleep or does something not sound right there? How could being high centered stop the wheels from spinning?