Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ starting problems

Turboturd

I just got to the point where I can try and start my engine. I can get the engine to run if i spray starter fluid into the intake. So I have a good feeling it might be the injectors. Is there a safe mode that cuts power to the injectors? Any way you guys know to test the circuit?

Does the fuel pump whine when you cycle the key at start up? could be a whole host of things.

Check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail

while someone else cranks the engine over use a stethoscope to listen to hear if the injectors are clicking

If the cam and crank sensors aren't working they will not fire the injectors, so a double check of the connectors can't hurt either.

The fuel pump primes and runs during starting.

I haven't checked fuel pressure yet. I would need to buy a gauge for that which I might have to.

The injectors is what i really think might be the problem, which could also be the cam or crank not working. Ive gone through my connection a lot, but I think testing both of these should be my next step.

Test for 12v on the yellow/red wire to the injectors. Pin 1 on the square 16 pin grey engine connector. (92-94 lego harness)

Sometimes the wire for them get's cut in the harness strip. it should be hooked to the Yellow/Red wire from the main IG relay.