Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how can i tell if 2.2 engine is interference motor or not

deepbluehawaii

You can tell by looking at the valve covers if you don't know build dates.

The phase I have horizontal lines and Subaru in the cover. in addition the spark plugs are right above the valve covers.

The phase II valve covers are smooth, no logo and the plugs go through the valve covers.

Can't remember from whom I got the info to give proper credit.

I have a phase I BD

O.

Thats wrong. There are interference Ej22's with the old looking valve covers.

No real easy way. The pistons changed so if you have a bore scope you could put that thru a spark plug hole and snap a photo. $500 device though. Love mine. :)

I APOLIGIZE FOR MY LAST POST ON ENGINE SWAPON PUTTING A 94 2.2 IN A 99 THE PAPERWORK WAs wrong. my broken timing belt car has production date of 11/96 so is there a chance it could have a non interference motor? how do i tell the difference? any help would be great thank you.

What's the model year of your car?

With a date that late in the year it could be either a 96 or a 97. If it's a 97 it's an interference motor, as others have said.

In any case, you should be able to swap your intake manifold from your car to the 94 engine and have it work.

I could be wrong. but i thought the interference 2.2l had single port exhaust and the non-interference 2.2's had dual port exhaust...

Good catch. He'd have to swap his Y pipe with the 94 engine too.

And actually, 96 is non-interference AND single port header. But that's the only year of that combo as far as I know.

Edited by 987687

• 6 years later...