Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20 Pistons in an EA81/EA82?

NorthWet

Edit: Originally posted as EJ18 rather than EJ20. I was mistaken about which had the 92mm bore. EndEdit

As i understand it, the EJ18 has the same bore as the EA81 and EA82. Assuming that is correct, does anyone know if the wristpin bore and position are compatible with the EA81/EA82?

Edited by NorthWet
Update Title to be more relevant

The ea wrist pins are not as big around (diameter) and the EA are a lot longer. Gotta dig in the book to find the depth.

Although not ideal, the Ej pin bosses could be sleeved to fit the EA pins, or perhaps the EA rods could be bored.

Pin position relative to crown might be harder to kludge.

Compression height of EJ20 pistons is typically between 32.7 and 33.5 mm depending model year and head gasket thickness. Wrist pin diameter is 23 mm. I no longer have EA parts to compare/measure.

A VERY rough measurement of an ea82T piston gives pin centerline to crown of right around 33mm. FSM gives EA82 piston pin diameter as 21mm

Can someone "remind" me how to change the original title from "EJ18" to EJ20" so that that it can more accurately reflect where this is going?

Edit: Never mind... I figured it out.

Edited by NorthWet

If one were to fit pistons designed for 23mm pins on a rod designed for 21mm pins, would it make more sense to bush the pistons or bore the rod?

Also does anyone have a source for NA EJ20 pistons?

Edited by NorthWet
Poor grammer and sloppy typing...

If one were to fit pistons designed for 23mm pins on a rod designed for 21mm pins, would it make more sense to bush the pistons or bore the rod?

Also does anyone have a source for NA EJ20 pistons?

I regularly tear down NA EJ20 SOHC engines... But in Europe so shipping would be more expensive than the cost of the pistons! I think you'd be looking at 75 - 100 US$ shipped.

Thanks for the info. I think that I will play with the cheaper and more locally available turbo pistons first, but if that is viable I would be interested in NA version(s).

I've got a set of N/A EJ20 pistons from a JDM motor that was in a Legacy I scrapped.

I'd like to build up the EJ20 with some turbo pistons, so I could part with the N/A ones.

One thing though, one of the 4 pistons has some scraping along the thrust side....not too bad though.

Let me know what they'd be worth to ya.....I'd GLADLY trade for some turbo pistons:grin:

I've got a set of N/A EJ20 pistons from a JDM motor that was in a Legacy I scrapped.

I'd like to build up the EJ20 with some turbo pistons, so I could part with the N/A ones.

One thing though, one of the 4 pistons has some scraping along the thrust side....not too bad though.

Let me know what they'd be worth to ya.....I'd GLADLY trade for some turbo pistons:grin:

I am considering... need some time to think. Casual looking on NASIOC came up with turbo sets for around 35USD.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...