Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Legacy Outback engine overhaul

Hi,

Just picked up a 1996 Outback with the EJ25D motor with blown head gaskets. Obviously the motor needs to be pulled out to do the work. It has been overheated a few times. The problem is that I want to completely overhaul the motor while I have it out and I cannot find anyone who carries the pistons for this motor. I can find pistons for the 1997-1999 EJ25D, but not for the 1996. It seems like Subaru had this motor for one year and then made changes to it for 1997. Would I be better off swapping an EJ25D from a 1997-1999 model into the car or possibly swapping in a 2.2 from the same model year? I am not too keen on the 1996 EJ25D requiring premium fuel either. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do? Also, does anyone know where I can get pistons for the 1996 EJ25D for a reasonable price? Or is this a hopeless cause? Thanks for you help!

How many mile on the 96 motor? Does it still run? If approaching 200K, I would recommend replacing the motor. Also, if over heated repeatedly, the motor could be cooked, and again not worth over hauling. So, I am thinking a replacement 2.2 motor would be a good way to go. It bolts in and is plug and play.

Hi,

Just picked up a 1996 Outback with the EJ25D motor with blown head gaskets.

I cannot find anyone who carries the pistons for this motor.

have you checked with the online dealers?

www.subarugenuineparts.com jamie should be able to get you the parts you need if you give her the VIN.

www.subarupartsforyou.com

you may be able to find part numbers at:

http://opposedforces.com/parts

but, not many people go to the trouble and expense to do a total rebuild from the bearings up when a good used engine can be bought, refurbished with new seals and gaskets and installed for under $1200.

Edited by johnceggleston

Thanks for the advice. The motor has 142,000 on it. Still runs great but has some piston slap especially during warm-up. It also overheats and bubbles out coolant from the recovery bottle. There is also oil in the recovery bottle.

i can't speak to the piston slap, i just don't know the details of the fix and how successful it is.

but as long as the engine hasn't been severely overheated new gaskets would put it back on the road for a good while.

Edited by johnceggleston

Thanks for the help. If I can find a good 2.2 motor somewhere, I would probably rather go that route. It seems to be more reliable (not as many head gasket issues) and it gets better gas mileage without requiring premium fuel. Any special issues with swapping in a 2.2? Does everything bolt up nicely, EGR ports line up, etc? Do I need the computer out of the 2.2 car or is the 2.5 computer the same?

Thanks for the help. If I can find a good 2.2 motor somewhere, I would probably rather go that route. It seems to be more reliable (not as many head gasket issues) and it gets better gas mileage without requiring premium fuel. Any special issues with swapping in a 2.2? Does everything bolt up nicely, EGR ports line up, etc? Do I need the computer out of the 2.2 car or is the 2.5 computer the same?

the 95 2.2L engine from an auto trans car is a straight swap into a 96 - 99 2.5L outback, GT or LSi. i've done two of them. the reason you need an auto trans car as a donor is because all the 2.5L engines here have an EGR system.

preference of donor engines for a 2.5L car.

1. 95 ej22 w/ auto trans - straight swap, use the flex plate / flywheel that came with the 2.5L trans, non-interference engine.

2. 96 ej22 w/ auto trans - use exhaust y-pipe from the 2.2L car and flex / flywheel from the 2.5L car, non-interference engine.

3. 97 - 98 ej22 w/ auto trans - use exhaust y-pipe from the 2.2L car and flex / flywheel from the 2.5L car, interference engine.