Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my front stock cat is starting to rust at the wield behind the flange.. and at the time I did not have spring bolts (temporary setup) I just used normal bolts..

well now with hitting all the snow and all the donut gasket is leaking along with it.. i do have a Subaru gasket I picked up last year but for some reason it did not seal well at all because I had to use a center pipe from a 2.5 GT..

Anyways long story short I was going to buy a bosal front cat and go ahead and replace the front 02 sensor.

i've never had any 02 code so would changing the 02 sensor at 235,000 be helpful or a waste of money?

here is a little clip I made this morning.

Also I don't know the center pipe which has the hallow resonator I used OEM Subaru gaskets Donut and the one that connects the rear muffler they all had poor seals so I don't know if something changed between 1995 and a 1999 2.5 GT? The muffler is from a 2.5 GT wagon by the way.

they don't use any sealant on the rear center to muffler gasket do they?

Didn't listen. But I have that flex joint cut out and a plain piece of pipe welded in at a place that can bend exhaust pipe.

Really makes sense to me in the long run. It's kind of a wimpy connection anyways and not worth obtaining true replacement parts because of what you'd need due to rust.

Didn't listen. But I have that flex joint cut out and a plain piece of pipe welded in at a place that can bend exhaust pipe.

Really makes sense to me in the long run. It's kind of a wimpy connection anyways and not worth obtaining true replacement parts because of what you'd need due to rust.

I went to a muffler shop that cuts and bends pipe for repairs, when my 99 OBW developed a rusted pipe leak just behind the resonator. My resonator did not look to be in the best of shape, so I had the shop torch off the resonator and bad section of pipe. They then used their shop equipment to bent a section of new pipe, and welded in the section of pipe to replace what they had removed. Cost was under $50, and system is now quiet. Removing the resonator did not make the exhaust louder. I can't detect any noise level difference with or without the resonator. Why does Subaru bother to have a resonator in the system?

Not many muffler shops do cut, pipe bend, and weld. Check your tel yellow pages, or search on line for a shop that will. It is usually a small family owned, non franchise shop that does this type of work. Cost is a lot less, with no screwing around trying to get the right size donut gasket to fit.

I would stay with your original cat. No need to replace if it is not throwing a code.

• 2 weeks later...

crap I ordered another donut gasket from rockauto (it was cheap) it's a auto parts international one but it's way smaller then the dealer one I have in my closet it can't be right for the first cat to the center pipe? i've got a huge exhaust leak now which is getting annoying.

As soon as I fish the dealer gasket out of the closet I will put up the picture

and I take it back it's the 2nd cat that's starting to rust out and I'm going to guess because of it not flexing.. at least it's not as critical as the front having said that the concave part of the gasket faces the catalytic converter right? looong time ago when I picked up the parts from the guy (2.5 GT wagon 1999) everything fit OK but the donut gasket (P# 44011AC000) never made a good seal at all and you could see the gasket turning around in circles with the exhaust flow.

I was wondering did anything with the piping change? Because it all looked the same.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

should be the same converter. i've swapped different years/models and this ebay listing says it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eastern-Mfg-EMI-40497-49-State-Catalytic-Converter-New-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aSubaruQ7cYearQ3a1998QQhashZitem20b6b52122QQitemZ140504277282QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

they're hard to get all cleaned up and bolted tight sometimes. rust, shifting, i don't know, but definitely sounds like that one wasn't totally seated if it was moving! woah!

if you can install some new pipe at that point that would be sweet? either have a place weld it in or do it yourself. you can cut that section out, cut off both flanges and sleeve a piece of pipe in place where it's broke. if you get high quality pipe it'll last and not rust out in 2 years. cheap stuff will rust.

converters are a tough spot because the subaru prices are outrageous and aftermarket stuff is expensive too or rusts quickly.

buy the cheap aftermarket and powder coat it maybe? :lol: i bought one off ebay for like $100 or something...actually i think it was $89 and it was brand new. surface rusted completely over in a year.

heh it's late night I should of noticed but I missed a few hours of sleep lol

I have a question for the gasket for the center pipe to the muffler do they use some sealant on that? When I did change the exhaust from the stock to one from a 2.5 GT I again had a slight fitment issue I had a tiny gap with the gasket (subaru gasket) but I noticed when I took the old one off it had this like orange looking sealant.

Look. Just take it to an independent shop that can bend pipe. You're pissing away more time, effort, and money than they are gonna charge you. No matter how cheap you may be (I don't know how cheap you are).

This is one of those cases even for DIY'ers that it just makes sense to have someone else with the proper tools do it. My guy charges me 40 bucks - but he's done a lot of them for me. So it costs you 50-60? By the time you buy the correct hardware, or aftermarket hardware for the "spring/flex joint" it's never gonna be really good anyways. He cuts both pipes, creates a sleeve, welds it up!

Just make some calls and have someone else do it. Seriousely. You're gonna have about as much in parts and not do it as well. Then there is the time and frustration factor.

When I do motor swaps and HG jobs often this joint fails. I don't mess with it anymore.

Look. Just take it to an independent shop that can bend pipe. You're pissing away more time, effort, and money than they are gonna charge you. No matter how cheap you may be (I don't know how cheap you are).

This is one of those cases even for DIY'ers that it just makes sense to have someone else with the proper tools do it. My guy charges me 40 bucks - but he's done a lot of them for me. So it costs you 50-60? By the time you buy the correct hardware, or aftermarket hardware for the "spring/flex joint" it's never gonna be really good anyways. He cuts both pipes, creates a sleeve, welds it up!

Just make some calls and have someone else do it. Seriousely. You're gonna have about as much in parts and not do it as well. Then there is the time and frustration factor.

When I do motor swaps and HG jobs often this joint fails. I don't mess with it anymore.

problem is the last person that I took my car to (well known nationwide shop) took my brand new bosal center pipe and wielded it to my muffler..

I still got it down in my basement it was a friken mess.

And what's $50-60 my gasket was no place near that amount

Gasket, spring bolts, often the "flange fix" kits. It all adds up. And you're missing my point that you'll probably never be satisfied with that joint. And it'll likely always be wimpy.

Do whatever you want.

Try a different place. I don't know.

Notice I said INDEPENDENT shop?

Because I'm telling you it just ain't worth it.

I even have the cars up on a lift and everything but the pipe bender, and ain't afraid to tackle much.

In my opinion is simply isn't worth it.

I was just looking at something here on the 2nd cat to the center pipe the cat has this extension from the cat that goes to the center pipe.. at least from what I can remember (been awhile) I don't think my cat had that and maybe that's why the flange gasket was not making a good seal at all.

dude,just got it done today on my obs.same spring bolt rusted threw garbage.my local minekee gave me the option.replace from cat back ,or cut away and weld new pipe in.my mind wants new exhaust,but car only cost me 600.new exhaust is 850.now with welded pipe was only 180.stiil high,but she is now quiet as church mouse.he also found a leak from the flange that mounts to the engine.i saw the rusted bolts and did not want him to mess with it.i will do it myself after some serious pb blaster soaking to change the gasket.he just put some exhaust weld or whatever it is called.good as new.she has 201k on her and not a sound now.

I had an issue similar to Rooster over the summer past on my '99 OBW. The resonator is gone. I cut off the flange completely on both sides and put on a new pipe. One side of the flange was rotted also. Problem solved cheaply.

And I have to agree with DB on the issue of independant shops. They're not everywhere any more, but worth locating. Also, I found out how shops like Midas price their parts a while ago when I called them to task after I got an estimate on some a/c service on one of my Jeeps. They use computer programs that dictate how much they have to charge for parts dependant on what they pay for them. The mark up is obcene, way above what you'd pay over the counter at any chain parts store. That and the quality of work is way too often second rate compared to the mom & pop shops.