Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P0136 - Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought the car to my buddy's shop this afternoon. We put the car on the lift and pulled the front O2 sensor. We checked the wiring and it all looked good. We checked the harness and it looked fine. I plugged back in the sensor and cleared the code. I am hoping it was just a loose connection. If not I'll swap it.

Bingo! Mr. Shakes was great. Fit me in at lunch while I waited. $60 well spent. THx for the lead. :banana:

I know, aren't these guys amazing? They also take credit cards for any amount, which in my opinion is epic. (I go cashless.)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the CEL came back tonight. Was driving from New Haven, CT to New York City and the code was for the primary O2 sensor. It was dry and normal driving conditions. No rain and not wet.

My options, as I see them:

1) Remove the o2 sensor and Ohm it out to determine if it's working correctly. Does anyone know the right the ohm range for the primary O2 sensor?

2) Replace the sensor with a new one. There is a Subaru dealer about 20 minutes from here. I am tempted to do this as I am pretty certain the sensor in the primary cat is damaged. It sat in my backpack for about a year and I throw that thing everywhere.

I've checked the wring harness and it looks intact.

Ideas? Thoughts?

If I remember correctly I seem to recall reading about a warning on doing a resistance test on O2 sensors as it will damage them. They are a voltage generator basically, though it is a small voltage. The best way I know of to test them is to check the voltage of the device under working conditions. A meter works but a scope is the best thing to use. I know not many folks have one though.

You can buy a data-logger USB to OBDII connector and program on eBay for about $25 that hooks to a laptop and you can get real time info from the program. Among other system tests, it reads:

"Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims"

I haven't experimented with this to understand the values so I'll wait for others to chime in but here is the link for one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBDII-OBD-OBD2-CAN-auto-PC-scantool-USB-cable-1-3a-B03-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a65200f3QQitemZ290553200883QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

I replaced the sensor with a brand new OE I picked up today from the people who run subarupartsforyou.com. I also begged them to redo their website. Cleared the code and will wait and see. Going to drive 120 miles tonight.