Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sitting a long time

A coworker has an 84 gl 4wd 4speed wagon for sale super cheap. It has about 70,000 miles on it. It's been sitting in a garage since 1991. The car was parked due to personal, not mechanical reasons.

He used to start it up and pull it out of the garage then pull it back in for space reasons. He stopped starting it up a few years ago when the battery died.

Im going to look at it next week. What should I look at or test. I plan on bringing a battery some tools and a small can of gas.

I would like to use it as a daily driver for a year or two.

Thanks

Battery, can of carb clean, can of starting fluid, 2 gal, gas. The gas in the tank will probably be going bad, so depending on how much is in there.... Less tank 1/2 tank and a couple gallons should be enough to pep it up. Hook up the battery, crank it over for about 10 - 15 seconds to build oil pressure. If it doesn't start during this phase, pop off the air cleaner cover hold the throttle wide open and spry 3 - 1 second shots of starting fluid in. Release the throttle and start it. If it starts but won't stay running, try starting it 3 or 4 more times. If it still won't stay running, hold the throttle wide open and spry down the primary barrel of the carb. The spray the carb cleaner directly into the ven on the top of the barrel until it starts coming out. Continue spraying for another 3 or 4 seconds. Wait about 20 - 30 min. This usually is enough time for the cleaner to soften up any varnish that may be blocking jets or passages in the carb. A couple more shots of starting fluid after waiting and try to start it again. If you still have the same problem, get it started and keep it running with the starting fluid. If it back fires at ANY time, get the starting fluid the hell out of there!!! It is EXTREMELY flammable and explosive. You only need quick shots every few seconds to keep it running at idle. Don't rev it up over 1500 - 2000 rpm. After a minute, stop using the starting fluid and see if the 'crap' has softened up enough for the engine vacuum to suck it through and allow fuel flow. Let it run a good 10 - 15 minutes before you drive it. This is so you can get it up to temp and make sure it doesn't overheat. The extra starting steps are worst case scenario. It may start right up. I've bought cars that sat for up to 7 years that fired right up, but I've also had cars that sat for only a year that tested my sanity....

This is how i got my justy. Bring a can of gas. Expect the car not to idle (if it does that is great). I had to drain out all the gas and rebuild my carb. The motor oil may have gone back to the original dinosaurs and plants it came from.

The justy had the most putrid gas i have ever smelled in my life. I siphoned it out, replaced the fuel filter (twice) added a bottle of fuel conditioner, replaced the carb and that was good.

I had to replace the front calipers and rotors since they were fused together. It was amazing that the car moved at all. I rebuilt the rear brakes just due to age.

I added fresh radiator fluid then all was good. I was surprised from him sitting for so long there were no other issues.

Pretty much the fuel system will be clogged and the brakes untrustworthy.