Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve cover gasket replacement

Hello, I am an Englishman just moved to New Zealand. I have no experience of Subarus, am a competant mechanic, but don't have access to many tools at the moment.

I am about to buy a 1990 Legacy GT which has a bit of oil seeping from the valce cover gaskets.

Can these be replaced with the engine in the car?

Smiffy

Originally posted by smiffypr

Hello, I am an Englishman just moved to New Zealand. I have no experience of Subarus, am a competant mechanic, but don't have access to many tools at the moment.

I am about to buy a 1990 Legacy GT which has a bit of oil seeping from the valce cover gaskets.

Can these be replaced with the engine in the car?

Smiffy

What engine's in this beast? In my car, a 2002 Legacy GT with the single-cam 2.5l, it would be easy to do with the engine in the car. Removing the battery, washer bottle, and intake duct work makes for plenty of room to get at the valve covers.

I think cars with the twin-cam engines (be they 2, 2.2, or 2.5 litre) have less room between the valve covers and frame rails.

It is a 2 litre turbo, and it looks as if there might be just enough room. It depends how far the cover has to be moved sideways before it can be slid out.

I also wondered wheather the engine can safely be pushed over a little on its mounts to give an extra few mm.

I also thought it looked like access might be easier from underneath.

Smiffy

Having done it on a SOHC EJ22, I can verify that it's possible. Didn't remove anything else, at all.

I would think that the DOHC engines would be easier, since the valve covers are more flat - the EJ22 cover could only just clear the valve train with the cover pressed against the chassis.