Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Something Unusual (1958 Goliath)

I know the people on here are fans of strange and wierd cars (as most of us own them :rolleyes: ) This is my 1958 Goliath (the company was partnered with Lloyd and Borgward) The engine is an 1100cc horizontally opposed four cylinder about 46 hp, it's water cooled and front wheel drive and is a four speed with column shift (even if the shifter actually does come out of the dash) It has many features that are far ahead of it's time including rack and pinion steering. It has a very odd front suspension as you can kind of see in one of the photos. This car has 14,000 original miles on it, and is the only Goliath Wagon that I know of in the US to have a sliding canvas roof! The engine was removed and put in another car that was on the road, I have plans to put a Ea81 in it someday, but I have most of the parts to rebuild an original one now. It needs floors, and has some other issues, but after I repaint my 84 GL wagon, and finish the EJ swap in my Brat this is on the list of things to do! Hope you like it!

72.jpg?t=1296949471

73.jpg?t=1296949471

74.jpg?t=1296949471

75.jpg?t=1296949471

76.jpg?t=1296949471

77.jpg?t=1296949471

Hey, that's a real piece of our automotive history. The Goliath/Lloyd H-4 was the model Subaru used when they went for horizontally opposed engines, not the Volkswagen as some think!

Good luck with it--hope you can get it reasonably restored some day.

Hey, that's a real piece of our automotive history. The Goliath/Lloyd H-4 was the model Subaru used when they went for horizontally opposed engines, not the Volkswagen as some think!

Hey, are you saying this belongs in the "Ancient Subaru" Forum? :D

That car is absolutely amazing looking!

I bet an EA81 would pep that thing right up (and get rid of those leather seals.)

Twitch

I need to get more pics of it, I have the body a little more together, as these photos were taken when I first got it, I have around 4-5 boxes full of NOS parts mostly to do with the engine, so I'm hoping someday I'll be able to get it on the road, I have driven it, when I rebuilt the brakes, and when I had the engine in the car. It was interesting to say the least. :eek: I also have one of the rare dual carb engines that produced 63hp! So I'm hoping I can rebuild that someday. The engines seemed to fail mostly due to sludge problems, and another huge problem area is the front Cv's.

Not the Goliath flat four but I agree with the Lloyd arabella flat 4.

They were going to use the Goliath four in the Arabella till they found out it wouldnt fit or something like that.

So they built a new flat four that was used in it in stead.

Dad has owned Goliaths, Hansas, Lloyds and Borgwards.

He still has 2 Lloyd 600s :lol:

One of my Dads mates used to have a Hansa Tiger Coupe with the Twin Carb hot engine and a Black Goliath Car.

Ended up selling them to a Borgward group type museum here.

Both needed a full restoration.

• 2 weeks later...
awesome car man, would love to see it cleaned up and what not!

Yeah that's the plan, someday it will be back on the road. It just needs a lot more work then both my ea81 wagons, and my brat, so it's RUSToration :lol: has been pushed back until I have those done (hopefully by the end of this summer) I'll most likely post pics of the process if it is alright with administration on here, due to the fact I don't really have another community to share this rare car with!

Yeah that's the plan, someday it will be back on the road. It just needs a lot more work then both my ea81 wagons, and my brat, so it's RUSToration :lol: has been pushed back until I have those done (hopefully by the end of this summer) I'll most likely post pics of the process if it is alright with administration on here, due to the fact I don't really have another community to share this rare car with!

Fine with me, that thing seems like the ultimate vintage "Subaru".

• 3 weeks later...

That is cool. I've never seen a red one. There are a few here in Or. I know of 3 wagons, one is another with a sliding roof and sliding windows. I think it is 1957 with the really rare 2 stroke direct injection engine. The others have the single carb 4 strokes. There are 2 Goliath two door coupes just rusting away on two separate farms I've been trying for years to get. They are pretty far gone now. I have a Lloyd Alexander 600 wagon myself. I almost got a Goliath van with the aluminum body two stoke direct injection engine under the front seat, but someone beat me to it. He drives it around now in S. Or.

The Goliath club is dead

www.mphspecialties.com

Yeah the Goliath club is dead, all of the people I know who had them recently sold them. Actually I think two of them are being shipped out west to Oregon. One is a beautifully restored 1960 sedan, and the other is a 57 sedan that needs restoration but is solid. They guy that owned them was just sick of the mechanical issues, and decided to focus on a car he could drive everyday.

It's awesome that there is another with a sliding roof I thought I was the only one, although mine is in pretty rough shape and needs to be replaced.

I had a chance to buy a van last year as well. They guy wanted too much for it and It needed a windshield, so I passed on it (it also had the typical Goliath syndrome where the engine was apart in the back) It was very cool to see on in person though.

Dad used to have a Lloyd Forward control van. Was a Odd looking thing.

Its still around and is being restored by some guy up north.

Also dad knows a guy that used to have a Goliath van with the two stoke direct injection engine. Werid thing was it got stolen and completely disapeared off the face of the earth.

They were pretty rare here when they were new. Its never surfaced again.

Edited by kiwi subbie

It's odd someone would steal one. It's not like they have much value, and if you ever got in a police chase with one, you could never outrun them :lol:

Couldnt they get up over 60MPH? :banana::grin:

Many years ago my dad also had a Lloyd 600 stored at the same guys place.

It got stolen and used for a joy ride. It ended up parked up at the park around the road from our place.

Dad only found out when a policeman came to our door and told him it was parked there.

:rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

I have actually done a bit of work to this. I have a block all apart, and I may send it out for machining, it would be cool to have it running on it's "original" engine. I have enough parts to put it all together and a bunch of gasket sets and such. Even the factory books so we will see. I can take some pics of the engine all apart.

Hey if you decide to sell it before you modify the heck out of it let me know,I have an Goliath 1100 express cab over truck,I love these things and there hard to come by unmolested

I have no plans to sell this at this point. It was given to me by a long time family friend, and he would like to see it on the road again. So that's the plan after my current projects. It is very hard to come by them in good shape/untouched this one is very good for where it was it also has the rare bucket front seats, and some other rare options as well.

Way cool rig! Sort of reminds me of a Fiat wagon of near the same vintage, 2 of my buddies had in high school in the early 70's. They were twins and always fought over who got to drive.

Thanks! It's pretty cool, and very unique to drive!

Thats great I was glad to hear your not going to modify it ,They are rare.

I just bought an Express Low Pickup,I may have to source new jugs if mine cant be tigged.I also found a great source for parts so if you need anything just give me a call. The pick up is way cool with the Euro Headlamps instead of the funky american versions. Also I am sure you are aware but the sleeves push right out of the jugs I m pretty sure there are 3 seals on them so you can just replace them if there to bad ,I also found a supplier for new pistons and head gaskets

Well catch you later

Scott

I know about the jugs and the seals, I have NOS seals not sure about the jugs though, If you end up needing some I may be able to spare a couple but I would have to look and see what I have first. It's been a really long time since I taken inventory... I'm not sure if I have ever seen the Euro headlamps on an Express. Although I have seen an express van in person and found it very cool. But as usual with any Goliath the engine was apart in the back :grin:

This truck was all there and together amazingly enough, but the kid that had it forgot to drain it after a test run and let it freeze,Not all to bright.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer I will let you know .

I plan on breaking it down this week I want to get the restoration done fast and right so its going to be some long hours ,I will shoot some pics for you

Thanks Again

Scott

• 6 months later...

Wow that is a very nice example. I love the two tone paint!!! And you are very lucky that your pump doesn't leak I have some new old stock stuff to fix mine with this time around, but I have to put an engine back together first.

Unfortunately this project keeps getting pushed back. I just picked up a 72 beetle convertible for free, so I'm going to be doing that next so I can sell it an make some money for this and my other stuff :rolleyes: