Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Something Unusual (1958 Goliath)

I have just bought a reeeeally rusty example with no motor but lots of other parts if you need (including 2 full sets of glass) but I am after a better set of tail-lights or 2 hubcaps with the 'G' logo if you know of any

• 10 months later...

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. I drove one of these (canvas sunroof and all) while in high school in the late '60's. Little known fact: 2 people in front, 2 in the back seat and 2 in the rear area will cause the front wheels to "float" a little while driving. Had a bunch of fun with what has been the ugliest car I ever owned.

Again, thanks for the (revival of) memories!

Bob

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. I drove one of these (canvas sunroof and all) while in high school in the late '60's. Little known fact: 2 people in front, 2 in the back seat and 2 in the rear area will cause the front wheels to "float" a little while driving. Had a bunch of fun with what has been the ugliest car I ever owned.

Again, thanks for the (revival of) memories!

Bob

Glad to hear from another owner. Pretty cool yours had the sliding roof as well. It seems to be a very rare options on top of an already rare car. I wish I had mine together enough to experience it. I have yet to start work on this besides pulling an engine apart, I have too many subaru projects going right now to start on this. Hopefully this summer I'll have a bit of time to dig it out of it's shed and work on it again. It would be nice to have it running and stopping again!

Good luck on the work. I remember using VW parts for repairs (specifically, I remember using a VW clutch plate, identical to what was in there, and I seem to remember(?) that the engine innards could use VW as well. I also recall persistent cooling problems. But it was a fun car to drive.

Some unique stuff there.

Like how the cooling fan is run by the generator.

The transverse leaf suspension is the same as the old Opel Kadetts.

AND... like the much newer than this- Corvettes! :P

It's a great way to reduce unsprung weight, making lots of room for inboard brakes, etc.. :)

And yes, very cool little car!