Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad news on my lift :( GRRRR

Guest Tin Soldier

Guest Tin Soldier

During the flooding and everything was going on I was driving down a dry road when it collasped under my back tire. I was doing maybe 35mph. I didn't puncture the tire or hurt my wheel but the place where my lift mounts to the bottom the car bent back like half an inch. You see the rear block at an angle (I will get pix). It was tracking really hard too.

I went to a local tractor repair place and we hooked a chain up around the side of the rear and used hydrolics to pull it back into place. The block is still at an angle but now the wheel is only back 1/8 of inch instead of 1/2. Drives better. :)

Just upsets me that I can smash thru mud and jump bridge and stinking dry road gets the better of my suby. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tin Soldier

Probably more like the huge rust hole that I found in the unibody that had more to do with it then anything. :)

Going to try to weld a frame under the car to hold everything together.

Guest GeneralDisorder

Specifically - I believe the 2nd law of thermodynamics comes into play. It's commonly known as entropy. In laymans terms it means something along the lines of: "The tendancy for order to decrease inside a closed system".

"Oh - now we see the violence inherent in the system!" - "you saw him oppressing me didn't you?"

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

HEHE

Guest Tin Soldier

It's one from pkdavis. Nothing happened to the lift. It's the darn subframe of the car that gave way. I don't even thing the bolts got bent.

Tell me, when you have 3000 pounds of car travel roughly 40 mph, what kinda force is that going to put on the tire when it hits a 3 foot hole all the sudden?

Guest thesubarukid

its going to hit with the force of 3000 lbs traveling at about 40 mph:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Sorry, couldn't pass that one up:lol: ;)

I don't know an exact figure, but thats a bit of weight that was dispersed evenly over four tires, and now only three, and at a moderate speed like that hitting a hole that size i imagine could do some damage (blown tire maybe?). Was the hole three feet deep or 3 ft wide?

Why, what happened?

Guest Tin Soldier

Oddly enuff the hole was just as wide as my tire and ruffly 2-3 ft deep. I thought it blew the tire at first, but it just knocked half the air out of it. I had it check and it's not leaking. Car makes a terrible noise when making left turns so it musta screwed up the bearing or something pretty bad.