Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical Problem or Ignition problem or Starting problem or alarm system problem?

Here is what happened, I just had a friend replaced the drive shaft in my Subaru, while it was sitting in his drive way, he got annoyed with the alarm system going off every time someone hit the unlock on there other model car clickers, so he disabled the horn part... this may or may not be part of the problem, just wanted to add that in. Got it back and it ran well for a few times, one day while at work in cold Minnesota I started the car and walked away to let it warm up... when I came back the car was still running, but the interior smelled of burnt electronics, concerned I got out of the car and looked around, opened the hood, I almost with certainty can say the smell was not emanating the exterior or from under the hood. Got back into the vehicle the only thing that was not working was the car stereo... the back light was on, but there was no volume or anything coming from it and the display was empty.. proceeded to drive home... got home parked and checked one more time around the outside of the vehicle, still no smell out side of vehicle. Went to bed, a few days later went to start the car all the electronics including the stereo turned on, with music and could read the back light, but the car will not turn over, I don't even hear the starter trying to start the car. I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback, 2.5 L 4 cyl. My friend and I are going to probably going to tear into the dash, just wondering if anyone knows where I should start, or maybe had a similar experience...thanks Adam

You need to check for power getting to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to START. If power isn't getting to the small lead then you need to check the inhibit switch. You could try putting the shifter into neutral and see if that helps.

Don't waste your time digging into the switch just yet. They very rarely fail. You're jumping the gun, start with the simplest things first. Check all your fuses. If they are all good, then next step is to check for power on the trigger wire at the starter. Put a test light probe on the trigger wire (it's the small one that just pushes onto the starter with a black connector), have you're buddy try to start the car and see if you have power there when the key is moved to the start position.

Ok so.... I guess I should have told you that fuses and starter were top of the list.... we got her working, it was the starter, but in failing it burned something (probably a relay) in the after market keyless entry and alarm... removed that and changed the starter. problem resolved.