Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help; how to repair suspension on 87 suba gl.

:confused:

please tech me how to removed and install for new Front/ Rear suspension. ofc, i could borrow the special tools compress spring coils from store.

anyways i have a KYB suspension. please send on post for photo and make a clearly and good simple or give me a links!

thanks!!

Oregonians

Suba 87' GL

There are two bolts on the bottom and 3 on the top of the front struts, It is easier to remove them if you disconnect the sway bar.

The bottom will require a bit of elbow grease, wedge a screw driver or a flat chisel into the slot where the pinch bolt tightens to the strut.

The rear has 2 bolts on top and one on the rear. It is more simple than the front.

Do not attempt to swap springs onto new struts without help if this is your first try, they can expand with such force that they can injure you much worse than you can imagine. Imagine a spring in a compressor as a loaded gun with a barrel pointing in both directions, stay out of its path and you should be ok, just don't every try to use body weight or stick your face in front of it.

There are two bolts on the bottom and 3 on the top of the front struts, It is easier to remove them if you disconnect the sway bar.

The bottom will require a bit of elbow grease, wedge a screw driver or a flat chisel into the slot where the pinch bolt tightens to the strut.

The rear has 2 bolts on top and one on the rear. It is more simple than the front.

Do not attempt to swap springs onto new struts without help if this is your first try, they can expand with such force that they can injure you much worse than you can imagine. Imagine a spring in a compressor as a loaded gun with a barrel pointing in both directions, stay out of its path and you should be ok, just don't every try to use body weight or stick your face in front of it.

thank for tips for spring coils, i heard alot abt danger.

i almost forgot abt it...how to remove from bra-line brake on the suspension front?photo2.jpg

THANKS!

There is a clip that you slide away from the strut that holds the lines in place. They usually can be removed with pliers, but sometimes I have had to take a punch with a hammer to get the really stubborn ones out. Oh and I can't remember if this applies to the older gen of cars, but on the newer ones you have to unbolt the brake lines, or cut the strut (carefully with a hack saw) where the line goes through the strut, as they are trapped because the strut brake line bracket goes all the way around the line so it can't be pulled out even after the clip is removed.

Like he mentioned, technically you have to disconnect the brake line. But that's really annoying so most of us cut a very tiny slot in the bracket so you can then "bend" the L shaped portion in such a way that you can slide it out so as to avoid opening the lines. then insert and bend it back to reinstall.

There is a clip that you slide away from the strut that holds the lines in place. They usually can be removed with pliers, but sometimes I have had to take a punch with a hammer to get the really stubborn ones out. Oh and I can't remember if this applies to the older gen of cars, but on the newer ones you have to unbolt the brake lines, or cut the strut (carefully with a hack saw) where the line goes through the strut, as they are trapped because the strut brake line bracket goes all the way around the line so it can't be pulled out even after the clip is removed.

you bet. thanks tho.