Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent Speedometer/Odometer Function

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback- 105k miles, this car has been superb, very recently the speedometer/ odometer has intermittently ceased to operate, then just as quickly, it comes back, I have not detected anything other than having had my car stereo recently replaced (not sure it's connected but thought I'd throw this out anyway). When the speedo stops working, so does the odometer. Weird heh!

Hi Neighbor,

Check by the passenger side of the transmission...you'll see a cable near the dipstick for the differential (you may need to remove the big part of the intake to get @ it/see it). This connects to the speed sensor. I'd double-check that it's tight. If it looks OK I'd scrounge up a used one, install it (directions likely on here/online) and see if that fixes it.....that's the easy fix.

There have been issues w/the cluster (RPM/Speedo/Gauges), which is a bigger PITA to repair, plus your Odometer gets messed up...I'd find another used one of those too.

If yours is an Automatic, a couple of gotchas to watch out for...yours is a Phase 2 4EAT, and according to Subarupartsforyou.com it's the same from late '98-02:

24030AA041 Legacy

1998-2002 Sensor, Speed SPEED SENSOR & HARNESS ASSMBLY FOR 1998-2002 LEGACY AUTOMATIC TRANS CARS ALL (item A) (for cars produced after 11 of 1997)

I don't know if you HAVE TO replace the harness w/the sensor or not on the '99+ transmissions.

For a 5-speed:

85082AE00A Legacy

1999-2004 Sensor, Speed SPEED SENSOR ASSEMBLY FOR 1999-2004 LEGACY MANUAL TRANS CARS ALL (item A)

Also, if you replace the cluster I 'think' they have to match your model, due to the calibration, even though they all look the same (except the Brighton - no RPM). And note that the '96-99 Legacy Outback/GT are very similar so the cluster may work from any of those.

EDIT: Since the '99 uses a different speedo/harness, the cluster MAY NOT be compatible from a '96-98....so watch out.

GL,

Td

CDA, ID

Edited by wtdash

There is a big thread about this issue somewhere?

IIRC Speedo/odo not working, no check engine light and cruise works = Speedo head.

If Check Engine Light and cruise doesn't work, probably speed sensor.

Try this http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/23730-1999-legacy-outback-speedometer-odometer-work-sporatically.html

99 speedos have a known problem. there is a thread i stared with a fix. i found it on another board. it is apparently a circuit ground problem on the circuit board. there are pics in the thread, or at least links to pics, for the fix.

in a thread just last week there was a solution for a non-working speedo of another year. in that case it was the screws mounting the speedo to the cluster circuit board. loose screws meant no speedo.

but for 99 it is on the speedo circuit board and a wire has to be added. and 99 is slightly different than earlier years and you can't just swap it out with a 98. (something about 3 wires vs. 2 wires but i have not confirmed that.)

advanced search ''speedofix'' or ''99speedofix'' posted by me.

if you use this fix and it works, please post back here or on the speedofix thread and let us know.

Edited by johnceggleston

I had an intermittent speedo on our '99 Forester (no check engine light); it would just get stuck at 43 mph and stay there and sometimes rapping hard on the dash would get it to work. I wound up replacing the speedo head, dial and face. I can't throw anything away, so I still have it :o. If anyone would like it to play with it let me know. It's yours for the cost of mailing or come by Bothell and pick it up.

And by the way, replacing it cured the problem permanently (it's been over four months now).

+1 for the speedo issues John is talking about. On a '99, the cluster is your issue 75% of the time or more,lol. And also, the fix he is talking about has worked on all the clusters I've used it on. And that's quite a few ;) That way, you keep your original cluster, and no messing around with trying to find another good working '99 cluster, since other years don't just plug in.

Edit- John, I just read that you asked him to post on here if that fix works. Just so you know, I've done it on 11 clusters at work, and they all worked perfect afterwards. All 99's naturally.

Edited by 94Loyale

in a thread just last week there was a solution for a non-working speedo of another year. in that case it was the screws mounting the speedo to the cluster circuit board. loose screws meant no speedo.

Here's the guide I wrote about that, but in this case the speedo works, but won't give the computer speed info.

I tend to doubt that's the issue you're having, because if the head wasn't getting a speed signal, it wouldn't be able to send it on the the computer. And you'd get a p0500.

Older gauge clusters almost work in 99's.... They come tantalizingly close to connecting up, but they don't :dead:

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 99 legacy with intermittent speedo failure. Tacho is OK.

Engine light comes on when speedo fails and goes off if it starts to work ok.

Any idea what colour the speed sensor wires are? On a RH drive is it still on the Right side of transmission

Is this the "earth"fix or something else

Thanks

Yewman

Correct. There is a sensor a few inches behind the dipstick.

The two wires lead to a connector which I'd like to check,but I can't get two hands to it without removing the intake box.

Will try another day when it's not raining

Yewman

• 2 years later...

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Anniversary Edition and the speedometer was working sporadically. I followed the instructions for soldering the wire on the speedo circuit board and it worked perfectly. However I now have another issue which has cropped up. I lived in Canada for a while and they required daytime running lights. Had a mechanic set it up and it has worked for many years with no issues, but now that I did the grounding fix, my side/running lights stay on even with the key off. I pulled the fuse which controls them but that limits my driving to daytime. Any ideas where I might look. I feel it has to do with the change made in Canada.