Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Hoist

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 markjw

markjw

Elite Master of the Search Function

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

Way easier than bench pressing the tranny. Still takes two people, thou. And, the person running the hoist, from above, needs to determine the accent of the mating surfaces in relation to each other. From underneath the vehicle, on your back, it's impossible. I was Way off.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

I use one of these:

http://www.harborfre...jack-39178.html

Works great every time.

GD

#3 markjw

markjw

Elite Master of the Search Function

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

I use one of these:

http://www.harborfre...jack-39178.html

Works great every time.

GD

I like it. I went over there the other day. They had the attachment for the floor jack, which I have never liked, but they didn't have that. I could use my 1/2" air impact with it and, do the work alone. Nice!

#4 93Newbaru

93Newbaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Northern Michigan

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:59 AM

Seems a little complicated instead of making a job easier, although it might be easier to wrestle it into position with it hanging above you instead of sitting flat on a jack. If I ever try this I will be doing it alone though, I'm sure one person could figure it out. I find that in most cases a second person just gets in the way anyway:-p

#5 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

Quite often I just pull the engine and the transmission as one piece and put them back in together. Its a little awkward but after a couple times I have gotten really good at it.

I also have a trans jack but its huge, big enough for a Semi Truck transmission. I like having it around but not enough to utilize it often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users