Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 subaru loyale

hey I just recently picked up a 1990 subaru loyale wagon turbo 4wd and I wanted to ask a few questions, the car needed axles (auto) so i ordered the from parts geeks and they sent out two same axles (auto has both same size) as it says on the website. so they come in and i took the left side out and they did not fit in the transmission side, so I ordered another set from another local parts store and they again did not fit and they were the same parts number. so I gave it another shot with another parts store and he brought me two, one happened to fit but the other axles was a different size, i measured it by putting a 20mm socket in the hole and it did not fit the second axle. so i called subaru and they told me that both axles are different sizes and wanted to charge me 350. I'm so confused as in where to order this axle I need the right side if any one can help me out

also has anyone done any mods to there loyale BOV intake muffler?

thanks for helping the newbie :cool:

Both front axles are interchangeable, left or right. However the turbo axles are different then the n/a axles (there are more splines on the tranny side on turbo axles) A lot of places seem to have the same listing for both turbo and non turbo, but that is incorrect. Can you go back to the parts store and give them the part number of the axle that actually fit?

Edit- I believe the non turbo axles are 23 spline, and the turbo's are 25.

Edited by 94Loyale

There is no difference between left- and right-side axles.

Axle spline-count depends on what transmission you have. All 3-speed automatics (aka 3AT) use 23-spline, regardless of turbo or not. The 4-speed automatic, which yours might be, uses 25-spline. All 5-speed 4wd manuals for turbo cars use 25-spline.

I suspect that you have a 4-speed automatic (aka 4EAT). This is a relatively uncommon tranny (IIRC, only available on 88-90 turbo models).

...also has anyone done any mods to there loyale BOV intake muffler?...

Not sure what you mean. Loyales do not have a BOV unless someone added one. (Not very useful on a stock engine.) If you are talking about the intake box and in-fender "snorkus", there is no practical gain to be had in modifying it.

yes I have the 4speed automatic tranny and I have the 90 turbo model, so whats my best bet on getting my hands on the right side one? call up a parts store and tell them to make sure it has 25 splines?

when I said BOV meaning has anyone ever put one in on these cars

order for a turbo with manual trans. this will guarantee a 25 spline axle

+1. Your car is an oddball for parts-counter people. This is one case where you do not want to confuse them with facts.

BOVs are not terribly useful at such low boost... unles you consider "useful" to mean makes a noise that you like and screws up the mixture (by venting already-metered air to atmosphere).

A recirculating valve (forgot the more proper name...) would function better, but without the boy-racer sound and without the mixture going wonky. But still not much use at stock boost pressures.

i heard some one talking about that but I wasn't quite sure what it was, they said all cars with turbos have it and you just remove it and it will give the spool noise? im new to subarus and turbos so I really dont know

also I got the axle, I made sure it was a 25 spline and it fit and its PERFECT!

I kept forgetting to answer your BOV question... Yes, people have done it. People have thought about most everything and done many things with these cars over the last 25 years. It is just that not too many of them have worked out very well and/or for very long.

For various reasons, you will not get a "turbo spooling" sound from your EA82T unless you buy some special effects sound generator to make it for you. The BOV probably won't make any desirable sounds with the stock setup.