Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Front end shudder - warped rotors?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 J A Blazer

J A Blazer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Fairfax, Virginia

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

Of all the cars I have owned none has had more front end shudder upon braking than my 2000 OBW. Turn or replace the front rotors and all is well but only for a few months before the problem returns. Thoughts?

#2 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,710 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

Does sound like rotor warpage. Do both rotors need turned when this happens? If it is only one rotor, then I would suspect that one brake is slightly dragging due to a caliper piston not fully releasing pressure from the rotor, when your foot is off the brake. If that is the case, replacing the caliper should solve the problem.

#3 Luvn737s

Luvn737s

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Ahwatukee, AZ

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:33 AM

Of all the cars I have owned none has had more front end shudder upon braking than my 2000 OBW. Turn or replace the front rotors and all is well but only for a few months before the problem returns. Thoughts?

Same problem with my wife's 2000 Odyssey. I hate to have her spill her beer on the way home from soccer practice (I keed, I keed!)

#4 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

The 2000 OBW had small rotors and Subaru upped the size starting in 2001. You may be experiencing disk material build up on the rotors. When they get hot the disk material will transfer to the rotor creating a buildup which creates uneven surfaces.

Getting the rotors resurfaced should solve that problem, and high quality pads should help.

You might want to considered ceramic pads to help keep it from happening.

#5 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,723 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

ditto up getting better pads.. I switched to ceramics on my 95 Legacy wagon and I have no more shudder.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,996 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

are they Subaru rotors or aftermarket? an aftermarket rotor could be made out of cheap steel and not as tolerant.

newer generation subaru's warp rotors like crazy though. my 2002 OBW is vibrating like mad now once they get heated up.

warping older generation subaru rotors almost never happens for me and i've been driving those since 1993. the newer stuff just warps more for some reason...heavier cars?

#7 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:08 AM

I am voting with the "Better pads" crowd :clap:

No doubt, mildy overheated pads are the source of this problem. Sure, it may be due to the discs being under-dimensioned, but you can alleviate the problem with good pads.

What's a "good pad"...topic for a whole new discussion :rolleyes:

I would suggest looking in the ceramic materials mentioned above.....part number/ brand names anyone?

#8 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,710 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

I have had good results with Advance Auto Parts store ceramic pads at all four corners of my Subie. I bought their store brand ceramics. Price was reasonable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users