Ultimate Subaru Message Board

KYB struts or KYB struts + Forester Springs without dropping crossmember blocks?

I have a stock 95 legacy wagon L and plan to upgrade the struts to gain more clearance and allow larger tires. My question is could I go with KYB struts along with Forester springs and Outback trailing arm bracket without having to do the crossmember block drop? I only plan to go with BFG AT 195/75 r14 on stock rims at first, but wanted to have the option for larger tires at a later date hence the desire for more lift.

I've read through alot of the other threads on the issue, just wanted to get some final opinions before I proceed.

thanks for the help, this site is great!

I'd be a little leery of putting Forester struts on a regular Legacy. I have them on my Outback and my front control arms are pushed down a bit. (Granted I forget if they were before lift and struts so....) I'd recommend just going with Outback struts as you'll end up being an inch taller than an Outback if memory serves me right (I know it's taller but don't recall spec.). Where abouts in LA are you?

hey newsoobdude, thanks for the response.. I'm in venice beach.

i was definitely going outback kyb struts since I have read that the forester strut spring perch is a little lower. just considering swapping in the forester SPRINGS for more height instead of sticking with stock legacy springs (which i believe are same height as outback springs, just the struts that are different)

I've actually just got this subaru, but mostly trips down to Baja (though not much recently) and into the Serrias with my Pathfinder. Haven't really been out to the Valley for 4 wheeling.

Yeah you'd be better with first gen Forester springs in the Outback struts than straight Forester struts and springs (wish I had known before I did mine). Do you ever go wheeling out there? Do you ever get to the Valley?

Which struts did you end up going with, Outback or Forester? I don't head down to Venice very often but would be cool to meet up at some point and compare rides. Another member lives in Turlock if I remember as well as a few others around the greater helL A area. Good luck on the project and be sure to post pics. Are you going to be doing the strut install yourself or taking it to a shop?

As for wheeling in the Valley, there is only one spot I know of but I used to go up to Angeles Crest and go to the hang glider take off spot but forgot the combo to the gate as it's been a number of years since I'd been up there and the old fire roads to the camp grounds and other spots have been blocked due to the fires :( so need to find some new places. Go to Gorman every so often but it's only dirt roads no real wheeling unless you don't mind body damage or have better ground clearance.

I went with the KYB Outback struts and I'm going to do the install myself, just waiting for the rain to stop here in L.A. I plan on taking pics, so I'll be sure to put them up here.

Which struts did you end up going with, Outback or Forester? I don't head down to Venice very often but would be cool to meet up at some point and compare rides. Another member lives in Turlock if I remember as well as a few others around the greater helL A area. Good luck on the project and be sure to post pics. Are you going to be doing the strut install yourself or taking it to a shop?

As for wheeling in the Valley, there is only one spot I know of but I used to go up to Angeles Crest and go to the hang glider take off spot but forgot the combo to the gate as it's been a number of years since I'd been up there and the old fire roads to the camp grounds and other spots have been blocked due to the fires :( so need to find some new places. Go to Gorman every so often but it's only dirt roads no real wheeling unless you don't mind body damage or have better ground clearance.

got the fronts in this weekend, took forever to get the lower strut mount bolts off. I didn't have a breaker bar at first, which is obviously critical for the stubborn ones. went pretty smoothly after borrowing a breaker bar from a neighbor. gained 2.5" measured to the front fender. I'll start a new thread and post some pics. I plan on finishing up the rears this weekend.

ended up with some camber on the front wheels after the lift, hopefully can take care of that with some adjustment to the factory elliptical bolt or whatever it's called.

Let me get this right. The outback struts are taller than the forester struts, but the forester springs are taller than the outback springs? If that is the case I may go with outback struts on the rear of my forester for a bit more ground clearance.

I believe the outback struts are taller than the forester struts, but I'm not certain. Though I'm fairly certain the outback struts' spring perch is higher than the foresters', so they allow more clearance for bigger tires. The forester springs are taller than the outback springs, check the trashwagon post, he has some good pics of the two springs next to each other (maybe page 6 or so).

Let me get this right. The outback struts are taller than the forester struts, but the forester springs are taller than the outback springs? If that is the case I may go with outback struts on the rear of my forester for a bit more ground clearance.

actually the picture shows the forester spring next to legacy spring, but legacy springs and outback springs are the same 95-99 as far as I understand.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111093&page=6

doesn't really help you though since you're trying to determine if outback strut > forester strut, maybe someone else can chime in about that since all I know is from searching this forum (which has been great)

thanks. should look a lot better once I get the rears done and some new tires on there. Might be interested in your RSB, but probably not so soon since I'm spending money on the set of tires.

Looking good, keep her up :headbang:. MIght have my RSB going up for sale if you'd be intersted. pm me if ya want.

by the way, I also swapped out the rear trailing arm bracket with an outback one which seemed to center the wheel pretty well. I'm hearing a little bit of noise from the front inside CV joints after doing the lift so I will be checking that out this weekend. There was very slight noise from one side when turning before I did the lift, but now it seems to be from both sides when going 25-40 mph, mostly going straight. Not sure if I moved something out of place when putting in the struts. It's not a loud noise, but definitely sounds like a CV joint.

so it looks to be the front passenger side axle shaft that's the problem as well as possibly the same side wheel bearing. I called my subaru mechanic about prices and this is what he gave me:

right front axle shaft (full axle assembly) $360 new subaru, $190 remanufactured subaru, $95 aftermarket. $75 Labor. I figured I'd go with the remanufactured subaru route. And for the wheel bearing I was quoted $285 parts and labor. I was thinking to have him do the wheel bearing anyway since as far as I understand you need a press for this? So might as well have him do the axle as well. Do these prices seem fair?

I was looking at the axle shaft at subarugenuineparts.com and 1stsubaruparts.com but can only find the individual cv joints/boots, am I missing something? Does anyone have a good source for the full front axle assemblies including inner and outer cv joints?

Does anyone have a good source for the full front axle assemblies including inner and outer cv joints?

A lot of us swear by MWE rebuilt axles. Never heard a complaint about them and I've got two sets working right now. The owner, Marshall Wolf, is a straight shooter and a good guy to deal with.