Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Subaru Legacy L modifications

I want my subaru to accelerate faster, no cosmetic improvements are needed.

I would like to keep this work that I can do myself with some buddies (all of us have experience) and wouldn't need to hire a mechanic to do.

Not sure about Turbocharger because that seems like a lot of work.

What do you recommend? Cold air intake? Throw out any suggestions thanks.

Pretty much a waste of time and money. You will spend hundreds and gain little. Enjoy it for what it is - which is not a sports car.

GD

+1. if you want to play with it, make it louder, and enjoy the novelty of it, then go do whatever you want that you like to tinker with and play with. you'll learn as you go. if you actually want it to accelerate faster then reread GD's reply. it'll take a motor swap or forced induction (turbo/supercharger) to make that actually happen.

the one exception to all of the above is, if you want it to be ''quicker'' you might be able to affect this a little bit.

if you use smaller tires. the 97 GT has the same trans as the outback, but smaller tires. the result is a ''sportier'' set up. so i would look into smaller tires and maybe taller struts, outback struts. (assuming the 02s are similar to the 96 - 99.)

but any energy and money spent on ''custom intake'' or the similar, is just wasted.