Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Timing belt covers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Matthewboerner

Matthewboerner

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:01 AM

I'm wanting to run my ea82t timing belt coverless, but from what I've seen other usmb users leave the one back piece just under the water pump. Is it useful to leave that one on or can it be removed along with the other pieces of the timing belt cover assembly? Thank you -matt

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

you don't need to leave any of them in place. the rear piece isn't required to be removed for timing belt purposes so it's an extra unnecessary step for someone just doing a timing belt job.

belt covers have accommodations for the oil pump sending unit wire or the oil dipstick.

i run the wire behind the belt and believe I usually run it behind the passengers side tensioner to keep away from the belt.

the dipstick i think i leave the center timing cover in place (using only two bolts so it's easy to remove) so as to keep the dipstick holder in place.

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,491 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

I'm wanting to run my ea82t timing belt coverless, but from what I've seen other usmb users leave the one back piece just under the water pump. Is it useful to leave that one on or can it be removed along with the other pieces of the timing belt cover assembly? Thank you -matt

That piece is left on as it is the only place where the belt is exposed on the back side. I usually leave that piece in.

#4 Matthewboerner

Matthewboerner

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

Thank you for your help guys, I really like the open belt look so I'm going for it!

#5 Deener

Deener

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Vancouver BC

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

I agree, the covers are just a PITA when you have to get in there for anything. I leave the ones behind the cams on just so I don't stick my finger in there while checking for problems. I use little zip straps to fasten the sending unit wire to the dipstick, works good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users