Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt covers

you don't need to leave any of them in place. the rear piece isn't required to be removed for timing belt purposes so it's an extra unnecessary step for someone just doing a timing belt job.

belt covers have accommodations for the oil pump sending unit wire or the oil dipstick.

i run the wire behind the belt and believe I usually run it behind the passengers side tensioner to keep away from the belt.

the dipstick i think i leave the center timing cover in place (using only two bolts so it's easy to remove) so as to keep the dipstick holder in place.

I'm wanting to run my ea82t timing belt coverless, but from what I've seen other usmb users leave the one back piece just under the water pump. Is it useful to leave that one on or can it be removed along with the other pieces of the timing belt cover assembly? Thank you -matt

That piece is left on as it is the only place where the belt is exposed on the back side. I usually leave that piece in.

I agree, the covers are just a PITA when you have to get in there for anything. I leave the ones behind the cams on just so I don't stick my finger in there while checking for problems. I use little zip straps to fasten the sending unit wire to the dipstick, works good.