Ultimate Subaru Message Board

piston pin removal tool

Does anyone know where to get one? I am planning on pulling apart my spare hydro ea81 and doing a full rebuild of it with SPFI pistons and need to get the old ones out first. Thanks to anyone that can help in this. I was looking around ebay at piston pin removal tools but didnt know what type i would need.

Hi This is Jerry, to get the factory tool cost way to much money i have check into it. What i did was get an old blade screwdriver bend the end of it using a torch to heat up the end of it so i can bend it. The screwdriver was about 6 inches long, took the handle off of it then clamp a vise grips to it. the adjusting bolt to the vise grips i welded a nut to it to fit my slide hammer. Then remove the C cilp from the piston then slide the screwdriver in the rist pin then slam away until the rist pin is out. But i do have the rist pin installer tool. Thanks Jerry

I used a long bolt screwed directly to a slide hammer. It worked much better than the cheapo pin remover tool I tried first (and broke). Try to get the head of the bolt as big as possible but so it will still fit in the pin. Stick it all the way through the pin and hook it on the back of it and pound away on the slide hammer. I found that after 2 or 3 pins the head of the bolt was getting worn to the point that it would just slip off and I couldn't move the pin. If this happens try putting a washer on the bolt to give it a new edge. Good luck!

-Nick

Easiest I found was to push the pin out from the opposite side. If you have #1lined up in front of the access hole look through the hole on the opposite side. You should be able to get a oc of 1/4" rod stock or something similiar through at a slight angle. I've been using a ginormous (18"?) flatblade screwdriver from a garage sale. I found it a heckuva lot easier. Others have done the same on here. A little squirt of lube seem to help too on the outside face where the pin meets the piston.