Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another wheel bearing thread

(97 OB Legacy) My front right wheel bearing is going and I have read on here that I should just replace it with a used spindle/ hub assembly. I am confused as to what I need to get ( http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=USA&userIMS=&userInterchange=BE%3F%40F&userSide=&userDate=1997&userDate2=1997&dbModel=70.6.1.1&userModel=Subaru%20Legacy&dbPart=538.1&userPart=Hub&sessionID=200000000000000000307029966&userPreference=year&userZip=37862&userLat=35.7829&userLong=-83.6103&userIntSelect=581435&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=15 ) this is a list of the parts from car part but I don't know which one or if there is a better option. Any help is appreciated!

Jay

I am not intimate on this, but think you will need to find a hub from an Leggie OB from years 96 thru 99 only. Units from Forester or Impreza or other years won't work.

If it were me, I would get one from a local wrecking yard, as shipping cost from a distant yard is going to be costly.

The other option is simply to go to a shop, have the wheel bearing swapped out with a new one. It requires a puller to remove the bearing that most shops have. I have had that done on my 98 OBW, which is like yours, and it was not costly. I prefer swapping out the bearing, because buying a used hub unit could result in your getting a bad bearing in that hub.

generally speaking there are 2 ways to go.

find a combination of low miles and cheap near your home and go pick it up.

or find lower mileage and cheaper in a non-rust state and have it shipped to you.

time and money is up to you. and mileage may only be known if you call. ask ''what if it's bad?'' and see what they say.

i don't think ''hub'' is the part you want. you want the ''steering knuckle''. there seems to be a few in SC for 25$. and some for 10$ in texas.

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=All+States&userIMS=&userInterchange=BE%3ECDO_&userSide=&userDate=1997&userDate2=1997&dbModel=70.6.1.1&userModel=Subaru%20Legacy&dbPart=515.2&userPart=Steering%20Knuckle%20%28See%20Also%20Knee%20%26%20Strut%29&sessionID=200000000000000000307098877&userPreference=price&userZip=37862&userLat=35.7829&userLong=-83.6103&userIntSelect=580500&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=35

hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. On that link that you gave I only saw RH (I am assuming it means right hand) so I am assuming that would not work on the left side. The shop quoted me 110.00 for the bearing and said it would take about 4 hours so their estimate was 400.00 and something (including realignment). I would like to avoid that if possible :) I will keep looking around and have contacted a parts guy I have used before so I will keep trying. Does anyone have a resource that shows the spindle, hub and bearing if I decide to tear into it myself?

Thanks for the replies. On that link that you gave I only saw RH (I am assuming it means right hand) so I am assuming that would not work on the left side.

your first post said ''My front right wheel bearing''.

if you enter ''steering knuckle'' in the search, you will be given the choice, left or right, ABS or not.

Uhhh... Whoops... Anyhow, I called some guy in south corolina so we will see how this works out. I've had to do this alot with land rovers but it seems like there are more resources. Got one with 90,000 miles for less than fifty shipped with a 30 day warranty so who knows how that will go. The guy had 43 of them. Thanks, now I need to figure out how to put it in. I'll check and see if it's in my PDF but it kinda skims some stuff.