Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Source for glass headlights, 98 Legacy Outback

I switched my mom's out after the stupid plastic pivot ball sockets for the aiming adjust kept braking. I used the one piece headlight/side marker assembly's out of a 95 or 96. Had to splice the older style headlight connectors on to the harness, but they work well, don't wobble all over the place, and the brightness is about the same.

Glass is a bad idea - chips, cracks, pitted, etc. Can't repair them. With the plastic one's they can be sanded and buffed out and it takes a boulder to kill one. Almost impossible. The older Outback fogs are a great example of why you shouldn't use glass for front lighting.

GD

99-01 2.5RS fogs too.

Dang things had a rough life on my old car.

Glass is a bad idea - chips, cracks, pitted, etc. Can't repair them. With the plastic one's they can be sanded and buffed out and it takes a boulder to kill one. Almost impossible. The older Outback fogs are a great example of why you shouldn't use glass for front lighting.

GD

Agreed. Those huge glass foglights on my 1999 Outback were crushed under excessively-spirited driving off-pavement. :lol:

The crunch they made was horrible, and because they're glass, they're expensive to replace! :banghead: (can't find one at a junkyard, and a brand new one is godly expensive)

My favorite is Flitz and the Flitz Ball for the drill. Both are available through their web site (http://www.flitz.com). The ball is machine washable so it lasts much longer than the foam ones which can get destroyed fairly easily.

Flitz is a multi surface polish so it works just as well on metals and other surfaces as on plastics. I first used it restoring an old police lightbar. The plastic domes were a real mess. The Flitz made them look nearly new again. The only things is wouldn't remove were the deep gouges, but it made them look a bit less noticeable. Real good product.