Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Shop Rags. Where do you get yours?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 markjw

markjw

Elite Master of the Search Function

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

I have bought the ones at Costco for years. They sold the red one's in a Jumbo pak for about $12, up until about 8 yrs ago. Then they switched to some Really nice, white one's. They were more expensive. About $15. Last summer, the white one's went up to $18 and I really had a hard time paying that much. Now, they are $25 :eek:...

So, I'm looking for a better deal or a better way. What do you guys do?

#2 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

Paper towels and rags mostly.

Some goodwills you can buy a garbage bag of rags for 5-10 bucks usually mostly towels and t-sirts.

I have been known to buy their used "flannel" sheets to detail cars with.

Also sometimes I can get pretty used up rags cheap from one of the uniform places cheap but they are on their last legs.

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,602 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

I get the box of paper rags from Bi's. Cloth @nds here (shop rags) are pricey and going up, as everything else will be shortly.

Got to get tires for the justy sooner then later before they go up too.

#4 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:17 AM

cotton prices are

going..

^
|

^
|

^
|

use old socks, recycle t shirts that are stained. etc.

#5 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:48 AM

Harbor Freight is where I get mine. I'll post up prices next time I'm in there.

#6 Subarutex

Subarutex

Oldschool Show Queen

• 2,539 posts
  • Mountlake Terrace

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

http://www.harborfre...wels-46163.html

#7 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,618 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

From my underwear drawer.

Soft, clean, white, sweet-smelling . . . and full of holes and shot elastic! :eek:

#8 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • North ID

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

I use these....

get them from work for dirt cheap.

They work great, and it is super nice to ALWAYS have super clean rags.

Posted Image

#9 NV Zeno

NV Zeno

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,037 posts
  • Ponderosa Ranch, Nevada

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

I can't recall ever buying or paying for shop rags. Used T-shirts, socks, old dish towels, washcloths, even worn out bath towels. I've actually got and get so many I feel kinda guilty about throwing out the ones that get really gunky on their first use :cool:.

Just my 2 bucks

#10 markjw

markjw

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the Great ideas. I went over to harbor freight last night to see what they'r shop rags looked like. The pack seems small (50 ct.) for the money ($13). I figured them at about 28cents a piece.

I looked around online and found a place that ships for free, the same rags, for 19cents a piece. http://imagetextile....shoptowels.html The only thing is, you gotta buy a minimum of 500 of them. Still, less than $100 and probably enough to last me a year. I'll probably go this route.

I never think to look around at garage sales for shop rag material. I'm gonna try that this summer. I'm gonna look a little closer at the paper rags. I never thought they were strong enough. Maybe thats a good way to go. As far as using t-shirts and socks and stuff, that doesn't appeal to me at all. I wrench too much to wonder where my next shop rag is going to come from.

The expensive, white ones at Costco are probably a good deal if a guy could wash them and re use them. They are hardy shop rags and would easily stand up to it. But, where do you wash them? I guess any machine used for that purpose would be tainted pretty quickly.

Found this quote on a "shop rags for sale" website. It definitely reflects what Ben says above about the price of cotton. "The phenomenal rise in cotton prices have made all towel items extremely higher in cost than they have been in the past 1 year." Doesn't sound too promising for finding cheap shop rags.

Edited by markjw, 19 February 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#11 markjw

markjw

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

This is promising.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/...W-/260733307092

#12 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,932 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

Take them to the laundromat?

#13 markjw

markjw

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

Take them to the laundromat?

I thought about that. If I knew I wasn't going to ruin anyones cloths, I'd do it.

I know for certain washing shop rags in the machine at my house here would cause some serious problems for me.

#14 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

I wash my shop rags in the same washer/dryer that my woman uses for her clothes - I think if there were going to be a problem it would have shown up already. I always wash them twice, and then I wipe out the interior of the machine carefully. No issues yet. I also make a point of not getting *most* of my rags really nasty - I use paper towels/dry sweep/sawdust to mop up ugly spills, etc, and I toss the used rags in the dirty bin long before they are totally disgusting.

GD

#15 wallaby

wallaby

USMB Regular

• Bronze Subscribers
  • 156 posts
  • clarkston,wa

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

as far as washing goes...
i live and work on a farm so i don't have the regs some of you have to deal with - we have a washing machine set up outside - H & C plumbed though the side of the house and drain onto garden(grey water only) it is our old machine from inside and it leaks a bit but still works, greatest thing for washing stuff like shop rags and pet beds.....
+2 on rags from goodwill/salvos etc
paper towels for cleaner stuff

#16 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,932 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

I thought about that. If I knew I wasn't going to ruin anyones cloths, I'd do it.

I know for certain washing shop rags in the machine at my house here would cause some serious problems for me.

I just did this last night, I have a crap load of them. Worked pretty good. They are clean but stained. They came out looking nothing like the services that are out there that I got spoiled on in shops in the past few years though.

#17 luvmysubi

luvmysubi

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Easley SC

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

i believe in Grey Water drains... But i dont know if i would send old oily rags or Chemical rags through a grey water drain! If i try to spray everything off over a pan and then dump in with old oil and recycle.

Course no mater where they go and probably even burning them , they will still end up in the ground anyway.

#18 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,932 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Yeah, in hindsight I think I will hire a service next time. It was a pain in the butt, made the laundromat stink, and environmental concerns as well.

#19 HATCHY

HATCHY

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • Everett. 425

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

I use my socks, and the side of my fender

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users