Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey I'm new, First car, Wise words please?

just tore apart the inside of my 96 impreza outback, took almost every immediate thing off of the interior.. cleaning anndd fixing this and that...

I'm a bit of a neat freak, Anyway

I've got a bad transmission (though well taken care of, gone at past 200,000) going to be replacing that soon as I can, and the engine will probably be next but we'll try and keep that clean...

so any wise words are Very welcome, I'd like to try and keep this thing as clean and smooth as I can....

Welcome!

Sounds like you've got an auto, correct?

You can swap in a manual with a little wiring and some pedal swapping.

Or a replacement auto can be put directly in, no rewiring required.

Your engine is non-interference, so if it busts a timing belt or a pulley, you're good :)

Also, unless you know it has been done recently, I would recommend changing the timing pulleys and the belt and possibly the water pump.

That will ensure another 60k miles of no worry driving.

At least for the engine timing :-p

Twitch

noo it's a five speed, that's interesting to know though..

knew about the non-interferance, loving that :P

the timing belt has been done recently, not sure about the water pump... how much they usually run?

thankya for thaat info, more's welcome :)

Alot of times the timing belt and waterpumps are done at the same time since its the same process to go thru up to changing the pump and or belt. So you might have a newer water pump too. at 200k i would hope they'd do that anyways.

whats the problem with the trans? i dont hear too often a manual trans goin bad on these. I just put a manual trans in my car last year and it had 212k on it! LOL.

aren't we all these days? no, the guy I bought it from just said it didn't work and he... fricken.. gave it to me with the front right half axle.. Off the car.. so I need to put it back together to even know how it drives...

I do know while the engine is running, when you put the clutch in all the way it makes a kind of.. brushing? sound...

and that body hint is Awesome I like that, except you Cannot find subarus in junk yards.. >.< course that's probly a good sign.. considering you could probly Build an american car out of a junk yard..