Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A few months ago, someone posted pics of their Subaru engine being dismantled, with a gloved hand visible in the corner.

After many years (close to half a century) of getting dirty grease under my fingernails, and embedded in my fingerprints, I tried some disposable gloves for my next oil change.

Wow, how easy these disposable gloves are to use; not bulky at all; I hardly noticed that I had them on. At the end of the job, just toss them into the garbage.

Maybe that I am the last back-yard mechanic to start using disposable gloves; if so, forgive my new-found excitement. Otherwise, I recommend that you try them.

Yeah, I discovered disposable gloves about 5 years ago. Others that came before me (and that are near) are of the "dirty hands" variety, I'm more of a shirt-and tie type. I've lost count of how many bags I've used up since discovery.

BTW, the bagged latex gloves available at Home Depot are the brand preferred by me;) .

I would highly recommend NITRILE gloves!! They fit like latex gloves but are a much higher grade.

We use them all the time when installing auto glass. Mainly because the polyurethane adhesives are a bear to get off your hands (nearly impossible at times!), but they are also chemical resistant.

Haven't tried vinyl. I like nitrile, and can get a free, unlimited supply (as long as my g/f works for Ethyl Corporation, that is). Latex disintegrates on anything more stressful than an oil change. I wear Mechanix gloves when I'm doing suspension work, or removing large assemblies.