Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch and pressure plate

So i know now that my tranny uses a 8 7/8 or 225mm clutch disk

i dont know if the xt6 pressure plate is thicker or the spec of the ea82 pressure plate id like to put a thicker pressure plate in there

all my cables are adjusted right and my clutch lets out right at the end of the petal travel

i suspect the redrilled flywheel is too deep or the pressure plate isnt thick enough?

98 legacy with a ej22 and ea82 5spd d/r

id like to buy a new stronger pressure plate but i dont wanna keep buyin the wrong parts due to lack of knowledge

The xt6 spec is -0.815 from clutch surface to pressure plate surface. I also just purchased an exedy kit for my xt6 here ( offered 10 bucks less and they accepted )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exedy-OEM-Clutch-Kit-Subaru-XT-88-88-H6-2-7L-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem483ad64699QQitemZ310224766617QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I should add that I dont know if there are any differences between the xt6 and ea82 d/r clutch release arms that could cause any issues.

Edited by T'subaru

Hi,

did you allow anything for the adapter plate when you mounted the flywheel to the crank ? the adapter plate moves the entire trans and fork back from the flywheel , and it takes more of the arc to make up for that extra gap. and that reduces the actual lateral travel of the throwout bearing for the same cable travel, what i mean to say is the fork is at more of an angle when it's adjusted for the bigger gap and that will reduce the length of travel some for the given cable travel. you might be able to move the cable end mount position some and get the adjustment range better, it only needs a little to change the engagement from almost all the way up on the pedal , to correct at an 1" or 2 off the floor, maybe 2-3 turns of the adjuster nut. the real answer is in that gap difference from flywheel to trans is now more. a spacer between the crank and flywheel is what i mean, but it would need to be made so as to keep the flywheel centered too.

just my thoughts

I do not believe that thtis is caused by the adapter plate, The adapter plate is a certain thickness (approx. 12mm/.5") for a reason, which is to make up for the shallower engine-bellhousing on the EJ22.

The plate should put everything in the proper relationships.

the step is the issue, the xt6 step is .815 inches and the ea d/r step is .900. the clutch can also slip because it isn't able to clamp all the way. have the high side of the step milled down .085. should be good to go then. :)

Edited by Ricearu