Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea 81 into RX

Naked Buell

So I finally got tired of the problematic EA 82 and dropped in the EA 81 into the RX. But I can not get the fuel pump to pump. Can anyone give me advice of how to wire it up using the stock relay or my own relay and bypassing the stock wiring altogether. I really appreciate the help Subie Bros. :-\

The fuel pump needs to see a crank signal to operate. You can also hardwire it to a toggle, or to acc or even the coil itself. Teh fuel pump can ground to the body. This is a safetey issue, though, that in the event of an accident, the fuel pump will still pump if the motor is not runing(and on fire, upside down, people inside, etc)

If you are using a carbureted ea81, then you will need a carb fuel pump. you can buy a generic aftermarket in-line for within 50 bucks at most auto stores.

using an mpfi pump with a carb will blow fuel past the needle valve.

If the car;s original harness is intact, and the distributor is connected to the coil, then the tachometer should be working, and the fuel pump should work by theory.

you are going to have to find a way to trick the mpfi ecu to see a crank signal, since it is expecting a signal from an optical distributor.

otherwise, the simplest approach is to tie it in to on with run. Perhaps you can retrofit the fuel pump control from the ea81