Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is torque bind that I hear so much of????

My 96 Legact GT AWD feels like something is binding when backing up or going forward with the wheel locked to one side. It still movs at idle but its not smooth, like something is binding or dragging. It drags then releases, drags again and so on.

Is this normal???

In the 4x4 world,(as opposed to the AWD world), torque bind is a problem.

In the case of my Jeep TJ, the 4x4 system is only a "part time" system. It shouldn't be used on high traction surfaces such as dry asphalt because the front and rear wheels are mechanically connected together....they MUST turn the same speed or else something will bind...or break. If all 4 tires are properly inflated and are of the same diameter there's no problem when going in a straight line but when turning sharply, the effective diameter of the front and back wheels change slightly,(because of the angle of the front wheels), so the front tires usually end up squeeling,(and you get weird feedback thru the steering wheel).

This shouldn't happen in an AWD system such as the Subaru's because of the center differential which permits the front and back wheels to rotate at different speeds.

Originally posted by CJK440

What is torque bind that I hear so much of????

My 96 Legact GT AWD feels like something is binding when backing up or going forward with the wheel locked to one side. It still movs at idle but its not smooth, like something is binding or dragging. It drags then releases, drags again and so on.

Is this normal???

Manual or automatic transmission?

Are the _circumferences_ of all four tires w/in 0.25inch?

I'm familiar with a part time 4wd system, the bind occours due to the fact that the front diff carrier rotates at a different speed than the rear when going around turns.

To prevent the binding a center "differential" needs to be used to allow the carriers to spin at different speeds.

The Lecacy has something like this I guess. A viscous coupling?? Not familiar with the inner workings.

My car is an automatic. I am not sure of tire circumference. The tires, allthough the same brand and size are shot and need replacing.

But irregardless of my tire curcumference something has to give when turning. The operates fine in regular driving and regular turns. Only when the wheel is locked to one side does it feel like there is a bind. Maybe its a CV joint getting near lock, not sure.

I just heard that "torque bind" is a common ailment of these cars and wondered if what I was experinceing was that.

• 6 months later...
...there's no problem when going in a straight line but when turning sharply, the effective diameter of the front and back wheels change slightly,(because of the angle of the front wheels)
FYI, it's not the angle of the wheels but because each wheel in a turn is swinging a different radius arc, the front wheels traveling greater distances than the rears. You can really see this if you look at your tire tracks after a turn on snow or sand.

B1